Closing Time - Three

The Time Lords sat on Craig's sofa, the Doctor trying to open up the cybermat with a normal screwdriver, the Stone connecting wires together while Craig walked around the sitting room, trying to get Alfie to sleep after he had no use trying to get the baby to sleep in his room. "I'm knackered," Craig admitted through a yawn. "That thing was eating up the electricity?"

"And transmitting it up to the Cybership." The Doctor added. "But why? Why do they need power? Why are those conversions not complete yet, and what are they doing up there?"

"You said you were going to look at its brain."

"We can't now." The Stone replied shaking her head. "We had to wipe its brain but now we can reprogram it and use it against them."

"The Cybermat came after us?" Craig asked.

"No, after me and the Stone." The Doctor corrected.

"They sent it after us."

"After me and the Stone." The Doctor repeated. "Because of us you and Alfie nearly died." He sighed rubbing his head and setting down the screwdriver and cybermat. "Do you still feel safe with me, Craig?"

The man chuckled slightly. "You can't help who your mates are."

"No. I am a stupid, selfish man." The Doctor said glancing at the Stone. "Always have been." He murmured making the Time Lady grasp his hand. He did always blame himself, even when it wasn't his fault. "I should have made you go. I should never have come here."

"What would have happened if you hadn't come?" He asked. "Who else knows about the Cybermen and teleports?"

"I put people in danger."

"We put people in danger." The Stone corrected squeezing his hand in a reminder that he wasn't alone. It wasn't just him against the universe like when he was in his ninth regeneration and during a long part of the time war. He had the Stone right beside him.

"Stop beating yourselves up. If it weren't for you two, this whole planet would be an absolute ruin."

The Doctor sucked in a deep breath and looked at the Stone for permission. She gave a short, small nod. "Craig, very soon we won't be here. Our time is running out. I don't mean Exedor. 'Silence will fall when the question is asked'. Don't even know what the question is. I always knew we'd die still asking-" he shook his head not wanting to really talk about it with the Stone next to him because he had a plan on how to stop it all. A couple of days ago he found a signal that he honestly thought was too good to be true, perhaps it was? He had to find out if his theory and hope was correct, maybe the universe wasn't so cruel after all. "Ah." He smiled slightly dragging his eyes to Craig and his mind away from his thoughts. Craig was lying on the sofa with Alfie in his arms, the two humans sound asleep.

The Doctor and the Stone got up and both placed a blanket lying on the sofa over the two humans.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning the Doctor and the Stone headed out of the house. "Safe mode." He smiled looking at the cybermat. "My clever wife." He beamed entwining their fingers. "Come along, Bitey, dear." They headed to the store.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Craig woke up not too long after the Time Lords left, Alfie squirming in his arms and Sophie leaving a message on the answering machine. "So I'll be back about ten, because Melina's totally gone off on one." She said sounding a little annoyed. "She's going to kill David Jenkins. I know I'm stupid to worry. I can't wait to get home to my special boys!"