25

Everyone in the room had their attention on Stephan. Even though one man is commanding a whole room filled with people, no one seemed offended or hesitant to follow him. They all stood attentive and respectful for Stephan and what he had to say. When I thought of a mafia, I thought it would be a little more chaotic and disorganized, fights breaking out all the time, and people threatening anyone around them with their guns. Speaking of guns, no one has theirs out. I'm not even sure if anyone has theirs on them right now. Does Stephan have his? He's only wearing a loose-fitting black long-sleeved shirt, and some ripped black jeans. Totally not what I expected from a Mafia leader—

"As you all know, we recently had a confrontation with Cooper's group. Moving in on my land, and threatening something important to me. Now we can't just let him get away with this. Black Mafia isn't a group to let people walk right over us and piss us off, right men?" Stephan started to get heated and raised his voice slowly as he kept talking. His hands on my lap were still softly holding me, but they were starting to twitch in anger. Just looking at him, he looked completely composed, but his slight movements in his hands and his voice were showing something completely different. Murmurs crossed the room, men looking at each other with gleams in their eyes. They looked excited. Even elated.

"That's right. We need to stop this fucker and his rats for what he did to us. For what he did to what's mine." Stephan gave my thigh a tight squeeze, making me squirm with everyone watching us. They seemed to realize that Stephan was talking about me, and some gave me really weird looks. Like a mixture of surprise, pity, cockiness, and disinterest. They all knew very well that if they mess with me at all, they will be a target of Stephan's rage. 

Still, I feel so damn uncomfortable being here on his lap in front of all of these people. If it weren't for his threat earlier, I would never comply so much to him. I can feel my emotions wind up in my stomach, a wave of panic and indescribable smallness washed over me. I just want to go home. I hate this.

"Trevor. You were supposed to be keeping an eye on any of Cooper's group's movements. Report now." Stephan commanded, motioning Trevor, who was next to us, to speak. I never even noticed him standing there until Stephan pointed him out. The last time I saw Trevor was when he took that man from the nightclub into the hallway and killed him. Now being that much closer to Trevor, I notice a long deep scar running from his right eyebrow down his eye and down his cheek. Whatever this guy has been through, his scars show how brutal and cold he is. 

"After the initial raid, Harris received news about all of his men being killed. I went down by his house, but it was hard getting in. He has doubled security in and outside of his home. He seems to have hired even more men than last time. I wasn't able to figure out where he is acquiring and hiring all of his men. I was able to listen in on a call between harris and his consigliere, Kent. Cooper plans on meeting up with all of his men at 1900 hours at a dock near the eastline pier. During his phone call, he spoke a lot about Sarah—" Trevor recalled, only to be cut off by Stephan.

"What the fuck does Harris want with Sarah?" Stephan growled, his eyes practically glowing in anger. His grip on me subconsciously tightened, bringing me even closer to Stephan's body. Trevor's words rang in my ear, and I found myself eagerly waiting for Trevor to answer Stephan. What could another mafia leader want with me? I'm so confused! Why do all of these dangerous men want me?  

"I'm not sure of his real intention, but he spoke very fondly of Sarah and addressed how pissed off he was that we were able to take her from him. I have the voice message that I can play for you later, sir. From what I heard, he wants her for himself and will stop at nothing to take her back from you." Trevor answers. The room froze. Stephan's hold on me went cold. I felt my heart stop. Stephan's once even and calm breathing stopped. His chest seemed to twitch as his breath started to go ragged. 

What the fuck? Why is this happening? So now, not only do I have to get away from Stephan, but another Mafia?? My anxiety starting to build up again, but I felt myself looking at Stephan for his reaction. He is dangerously quiet. His eyes are staring at the ground, but they were lost in space. His jaw clenched in and out, as he slowly steadied his breathing seeming to come to a solution. Then, he started laughing. At first, it was just a chuckle, but it slowly grew to a loud and deep laugh. No one else was laughing, and everyone was just staring at him. Being so close to him, I was utterly terrified. He is insane.

Pulling himself back together, Stephan cleared his throat and looked down on me. The energy and strength I saw in his eyes chilled the blood in veins. If I couldn't breathe before, I definitely can't now. Giving me a small smile, Stephan looked back up to the hundreds of men looking at him right now. Liking their attention, Stephan smirked and raised his eyebrows.

"That's hilarious. Do you guys seriously think that some puny coward and his rats can mess with us? That's just fucking hilarious." Stephan's voice ringed out. Letting go of my thighs, Stephan helped me get off of his lap, but still kept a strong grasp of my hand. Standing up, Stephan addresses the room.

"Prepare yourselves, men. Harris has started a war, and I intend to win. Our first step is to cut off his legs— his supplies and outside communication. Once we weaken the rat, we will trap him and have some fun. Capos, with your teams, I want you to organize yourself and assign yourselves to an area of Cooper's. Spread-out, but leave Cooper's closest resources to me. You have my permission to use your resources accordingly to cut him off. I want his men count reduced, and I want him to regret ever trying to mess with Black's mafia. Trevor, you come with me to my office. Let's have some fun, men. Now, move out!" Stephan commanded, tightening his grip on my hand, while moving to the door, leaving before anyone could, Trevor trailing behind us. 

His excitement and words rang in my head as we walked. This man...

I've never seen someone so elated over killing others. 

But something deep in me...

A very small part...

I scare myself.

In that part, I find myself actually liking it.