37

I ended up mindlessly waiting for Stephan for an hour, until my body slowly succumbed to the growing weight of sleep. Falling into a deep sleep, I was totally unaware of Stephan quietly sneaking into bed, reeking of strong alcohol. 

His body thumped down on the bed, as he absent-mindedly turned over to his nightstand to pull out the drawer and snatch a well-worn box of cigarettes. He glances over at Sarah, before lighting it up and taking a deep drag.

I groggily wake up, the strong smell of cigarette smoke pulling me out of my dark sleep. The strong memories of my step-father flash over my mind making my heart lurch and stop. I tighten my fists, but the sight of Stephan same old dark blue silk sheets allow me to settle back down into reality. 

I'm not with him anymore. 

Lightly coughing, I look over to see Stephan leaned back on the head post, a small cigarette perched between his fore-finger and middle-finger. The soft lights cast over his strained face, curving over his strong cheekbone and sharp jaw-line. It shades over his eyes, but it can't cover up the indistinguishable presence of stagnant tears in his bloodshot eyes. Without saying anything, I just stare at Stephan, the room filling with a mixture of burning smoke and piercing alcohol.

 Without saying anything, I just stare at Stephan, the room filling with a mixture of burning smoke and piercing alcohol

"Just go to sleep, Sarah. I'm not in any fucking mood to talk or shit," Stephan croaks out, his back straightening in defense, as his usual blank expression crosses his face. His deep voice jolts me out of my trance, as I feel a deep pain settle over my chest. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but for some reason, his curt words really sunk deep in my heart. Turning around, I try to forget the look of his piercing gaze and force my body back down in the deep abyss it welcomed earlier.

♢♢♢

And so, the night soon turned to day. My day went on as usual. 

I left before Stephan got up, went down to the kitchen and had my own little breakfast. Then, I spent the rest of the afternoon reading, and trying to make Stephan forget my existence. I almost got away with it, until a familiar figure approached me outside on the kitchen deck, as my head was glued into my book. Hearing the approach of footsteps, I glance up to see none other than the same smiley guy from when I first was absorbed into this whole new world. 

"Mackie?" I question, unsure of whether I remembered his name correctly. Smiling brightly, Mackie answers.

"Hey, Sarah girl! Good to see you're all better now!" Mackie smirks, "However, I'm not here as a doctor. Actually, I've been sent to retrieve you," Mackie winks, grabbing my hand before I could even react. Quickly setting my book down, I try to take my hand back.

"Wait, what? Is it Stephan? Because I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to see me, Mackie. He hasn't been in the best of moods since..." My voice trails off as I find myself letting Mackie pull me along to see him.

"Yeah, I know. The dude has been so fucking crouchy for the past couple days, but it's nothing new. Just listen to him, and you'll be alright," Mackie suggests, smiling concernedly down at me. His grip tightens on my hand, trying to give me a sense of support and strength.

We walk in silence, until out of nowhere, Mackie continues.

"Sarah, he hasn't hurt you, has he?" Mackie asks, concern flowing through his every word. He stops in the middle of a hallway, and looks down at me. Flustered by his sudden concern, my eyes turn down to look at the ground, a slight shade of pink crossing my cheeks.

"Oh, W-well... Not lately— B-but he was a little more extreme when I first got here..." I mumble out, silently appalled on how much time has passed since I got here. It probably hasn't been more than a week, and my relationship with Stephan has already been so... strange. I still hate him, but after seeing him break down to me, and what I've been told about him from Rose has made me a little less oppositional. But, Mackie's next question made me realize how stupid I truly am to let myself be so suede by him...

"Sarah, do you... do you want to leave?" 

Just hearing him made me realize what has been motivating me to get through this mess. What I really want...

"Yes," I confess quietly.

"You're sure?" Mackie checks, looking right into my eyes for some kind of hint that I'm lying. I admit, when I first got here, I would've been a whole lot more adamant if someone asked me. But, after getting to know Rose and Steph... and Michael, and even Trevor, I realized one thing.

That this strange world and mine is the exact same. They are still humans and they still have feelings, but they immerse themselves into this life of crime that could possibly get them killed. And for that, I find myself wanting to— Stay. I want to help save Rose and Steph from this dangerous life, and I want them to be truly happy without any fears. 

But I know I'm too weak to do anything.

So I'll choose the one thing that I will regret for the rest of my life.

"Yes, I want to leave"

Nodding his head, Mackie says, "Listen, Sarah... I've been here long enough to see what kind of animal Stephan is. The amount of girls that he brings here is too much for me to keep count. And each one of them has ended up in the back dumpster in a bag dirty garbage bag," Mackie growls, making my blood turn to thick ice, "He is a killer, and you know it. Just because he shows feelings, and pretends to love, doesn't mean that he is fucking sane. He's a fucking psychopath," Mackie whispers, his words settling deep into my bones.

"Listen, I don't have much time, but I want to help you, Sarah. You're different than the others. You don't fucking fling yourself on him and choose to stay because of his fucking money. I can tell that you're different. So I'm going to help you, but you can't let anyone know, okay? If he finds out, he will kill us both without a second thought." Mackie states, filling my gut with even more anxiety. Just as I was about to answer, a couple of guys come out of a nearby room, talking enthusiastically to each other. Quickly covering up any clues to what we were just talking about, Mackie grabs my hand again and continues to lead me to him.

Wait... My heart starts to tremble.

Stephan took other girls? But, what about what he said before... about the promise to my dad? Is he just doing this so he doesn't have to owe my father? 

I can't believe it. All the fucking things Stephan told me, about protecting me and loving me... That's probably some shit that he tells every single fucking girl he picks up.

Oh my God, he's going to fucking kill me. 

As Mackie's strong words settle deeper into my brain, my hand instinctively tightens around his. I know I haven't spoken to Mackie since I first got here, but the memory of his comforting hand back at the bar keeps me from doubting him. I know it's not right to jump right to conclusions, but ever single thing Stephan has done up to now doesn't give me any confidence in believing in his innocence. 

This new realization grows on my heart, as we slowly near him. The fucking psychopath.