26

Walking into Stephan's office, he finally let go of my hand. I completely forgot that he was even holding it. My mind is just filled with so many thoughts right now and I can't seem to think straight.

With Trevor beside him, Stephan paces around the room to finally settle on his desk, both hands outstretched and planted. His eyes are just staring down, very still and focused.
Not knowing what to do, I slowly walk over to the far chair against the wall. I still can't really comprehend what is going on, and I really need to sit down and collect my thoughts.

Okay, well that was shit. I have no idea where to start. The man, Cooper Harris, he is trying to get me. Me? Of all fucking people? That night— It was him that sent those men to get me. He's the one that wanted to trap me in my own house and do god knows what on me. Stephan was the one that was able to get me out of there, but I never really thought if this guy would continue to try and get me again. I'm tired of all of this shit. I just want to go back home and work as a normal fucking person.

My anxiety is building up just thinking of everything. I can't keep feeling bad for myself all the time. I mean, yeah life's shit.

Looking at Stephan, I realize that I never really thought about why I would rather be with him instead of this other guy. I mean, yeah he hasn't strapped me to a chair like the other one, but he could do whatever he wants to me at any time since I'm trapped here. Instead, deep down in my chest, I have this nagging feeling of calmness. Very very deep down, I actually hear myself feeling safe seeing Stephan so worried about my safety. On the other side, he could just be keeping me safe so he could inflict pain on me himself. Plus, all that talk before about getting married and having kids—

Maybe dying is a better route for me.

Just as I was starting to rationalize this thought in my head, Stephan loudly clears his throat and straightens his back.

"Trevor, bring me a map of the precinct. I want to map out all of Cooper's areas." Stephan commands, and Trevor goes over to the far side of the room to bring out a huge map next to a large black bookshelf. He brings it over to Stephan, while Stephan throws everything off of his desk and clears room for it to lay down. Trevor places it down and grabs some big black markers and starts to mark off areas.

I feel really antsy in his office, afraid to make any big movements in case Stephan gets mad at me. But after half an hour of just sitting staring at them writing and talking about things, I find the courage to get up and start exploring his office. I need to walk off some of these jitters.
I quietly walk over to a bookcase next to me, intrigued by the sheer amount of big and bulky books. Ironically, Stephan keeps a lot of law textbooks. Totally see why he keeps one of those around.

Going on my tippy toes, I peak up at the top shelf which seems to have a bunch of different books, but one that surprises me the most is the book Paddy Clarke by Roddy Doyle squished between two black rustic books. I recognize that book right away. My grandmother, who died when I was really young, left it for me. I used to read it all the time when I was younger. Peaking over my shoulder, I see that Stephan and Trevor are both engrossed in their map and not paying attention to me. Looking back up at the book, I quietly and swiftly try to reach up as high as I could to get it. Putting one hand on the shelf in front of me, I strain my arm upwards, but my hand only brushes off of the spine of the book. Giving up, I slowly lower my hand, cautious of accidentally hitting something on the way down.

However, just as I lowered my hand, a long arm reaches up, while my head bumps into a solid chest behind me. His smell wafts over me, fresh pine and spices, and I immediately know who it is. Easily grabbing the book, I turn around to come face to face with Stephan. He was a whole lot closer than I thought he would be, my nose mere inches from his chin making me crane my neck up to look at him.
He just looked down on me, his dark eyes swirling with light, while his arm wraps around me. I can't help myself from remembering my dream that I had of him that night, him deeply kissing me. It felt so real.

Coming to my senses, I feel my cheeks flush on fire. I try to hide it, but it's too late as Stephan just smiles at my weak attempt of acting cool. Still smiling, Stephan holds out the book.

"You wanted this?" Stephan teases, raising an eyebrow at me waiting for my response. I still felt so flustered, and I knew I looked like a tomato.

"U-um... M-mayb-be... umm no I mean yes. Thanks. But I almost had it." I cooly respond, trying my best to act casual in front of him.

"Are you sure? You looked like you were struggling a lot. Is that shelf too high for you, baby." Stephan teases, smirking down at me. Ignoring his comment, I try and go for the book, but he just retracts it away from me. Feeling really annoyed, I huff out and close my hand. Trying to think of something to say, I try to turn this situation back on him.

"I was just curious. You didn't seem... like a person who would enjoy an Irish folk book. You see, it has jokes in it, and clearly, that is not your style. A horror book, or a crappy action book would suit you better." I wittily response, hoping that I could try and annoy him back just as much as he is to me right now.

"Oh baby, you have no idea. I'm just like you. I love all types of books, I get plenty of action in real life, baby girl." Stephan whispered back in a slightly raspy voice, while wrapping his arms way too close to my butt. I knew he was teasing me, but I didn't know what to do. He pulled me closer right against his body, his head craning down to directly face mine. He looked down on my lips, as I felt my bottom lip retract and I subconsciously but down on it. His eyes followed every exact movement, making me feel wary of my every move. I felt my eyes drawdown to his lips, as they slowly came closer and closer to mine. He wouldn't again, would he? What am I even talking about, of course he would.

Time seemed to freeze at that moment, his lips mere millimeters from mine, the heat radiating off of his breath onto my own. His movements stopped, and I look up to his eyes to see him already staring right at my own. His eyes were so intense and vivid. His iris pulsed, and his eyelashes beautifully framed his eyes. I hate to admit it, but damn he was hot.

Still staring deep into my eyes, he slowly moved closer, his lips slightly parting and his tongue swiftly running across them. Our breaths were intertwined, his smell paralyzing me down in his hands. I kept moving my head further back, but he kept moving closer until I couldn't move anymore. Feeling trapped, I instinctively shut my eyes and brace myself.

I can feel the ghost of his lips over mine.