39

"What the fuck is going on"

✠ ✠ ✠

My heart starts to beat out of my chest. My mouth automatically starts to open, about to tell him off about lying to me and being a complete fucking psychopath, but I force it down. The last thing I need is Stephan killing me before I ever had the chance to get away. I just need to keep that piece of information hidden deep down and just keep myself level headed. 

I look up at Stephan again, and try to push him away from me. His grip on my arms is starting to sting, but I don't let that stop me from trying to get him off of me. Tired of all of his possessive shit, I clamp my jaw shut and quit moving.

"Let go of me." I mumble out, my jaw still locked shut. I can feel all of my anger bubbling up in my blood, but I feel unable to keep it calm anymore. Stephan just looks down at me, a distant look in his eyes, and frowns deeply.

"Stephan," I try to yank my arm away, as I look to see a large red mark covering my whole bicep where Stephan is gripping tightly. Shaking my head violently, I finally lose it.

"Let go of me you fucking asshole!! Someone help! Please help me!" I scream out, the venom in my voice making me feel like a completely alien person. 

"Shit! Fuck, Sarah! Quit it! Just fucking stop moving!" Stephan snaps back, while readjusting his grip on my arms. His grip tightens even more on my aching arms, as I cry out in pain. Memories of that night when Stephan told me his plans for me, the way he reacted after I pushed him off of the bed, and his cold steel eyes staring right back at me flash in my mind. I'm tired of being nothing but a fucking doll, and I just want all of this to end. Violently jolting my arms, I eventually stop, my breath radically spurting out of my mouth, as I feel myself sag down in exhaustion. 

A lone tear slips out of my eye, the stinging sensation blinding me from my pulsing heartbeat.

"J-just let go," I whimper out, my body falling back onto the wall. Through blurry eyes, I see Stephan's eyes flicker from rage to one of a duller state. His grip on me loosens, as he glances down to see my red turning purple arms that he marked. For a second, I see pain flash through his eyes, but he masks it up without any resistance. 

Unable to take it anymore, I push past Stephan while he let his guard down, and I run to the far side of the room. I feel his arm brush past mine as I push past, but I feel no strength left in his grip and I'm able to continue to move.

Unable to handle the seeming closing in walls in Stephan's prison, I find myself in the one place where I feel just a little bit free. The cold breeze brushes past my fragile form as I hang across the glass balcony rail. My stinging arms are soothed by the unsettled wind flowing past for a moment, to continue on to God knows where... far away from here. Never has wind sound so appealing to me.

Moments from earlier swarm my brain, instant regret flashes through my veins, as I find myself lost for what to do now. I knew that since I was taken here, I was going to have to put up a fight and hold my ground to survive, but I can't help but feel like I went a little too far. 

The sound of the door opening makes my whole body jump as I quickly turn around, expecting to see him there. But instead, I see...

"Trevor? What are you doing here?" I stutter, placing my hand on my chest as I try to regain my breath. Quietly shutting the door behind him, Trevor comes and stands a few feet away from me.

"What do you mean? I live here too missy." Trevor teases, a small smile crossing his lips. I feel myself step back, confused by this different and strange version of Trevor. Giving me a quick look, Trevor scoffs and places his hands on the rail.

"You know, I do have a sense of humour too, you know?" Trevor remarks, making me quickly shake my head and turn away from him. Both of us staring out at the pavement maze below, Trevor and I just stay silent and let the sound of the passing wind fill the gaps.

"I've known Stephan for twelve years now," Trevor's voice rings out in the silence, I turn to him to see him just staring vacantly out into the distance.

"I admit, this life isn't normal. It's not what people hope their lives to be like, me included," Trevor lowers his voice, "I know it doesn't seem like it from the outside, but none of us working here are doing this for the hell of it," Trevor pauses, and turns his head towards me, "We are all doing it for him. He's made us a family and we're all working together to be the best," Trevor smiles, "Together."

Trevor's words seem to come from a deep place in his heart as he speaks to me. Biting my lip, I look down at my hands rested on the rail. A family? What kind of family follows a man like him?

"Sarah, I'm not sure how to tell you... but the reason why I'm here— Why I am even bothering telling you this is because in all the years I've known Stephan, I've never seen him like this," Trevor pauses, turning his whole body towards me.

"Wha— What do you mean?" I stutter, feeling extremely confused by his purpose here. 

Trevor smirks, and runs his hand swiftly through his hair.

"Stephan, he's been through fucking hell, and he is definitely a different kind of guy, but I've never seen him this attached to someone..." I furrow my brow as Trevor finishes. I'm lost for words, as I just vacantly open and close my mouth.

"To tell you the truth, he has had flings in the past, but they were more like a distraction for him, they always left the next day. But, he's different with you," Trevor clicks his tongue and turns back towards the railing, his hair getting swept by the wind.

"For him to go to you, and take you from something that he could've just ignored, and for him to toss and turn over your safety and wellbeing, it's something I've never seen him do before." His words catch onto something in my chest, as I feel a swarming sensation fill my stomach. I suddenly feel like I'm going to vomit. My safety and wellbeing?

"I know he's rough around the edges, and he really needs to work on his control," Trevor glances down at my now fading arms, "But, I thought I should tell you my opinion on everything, since he would never tell you any of this in a thousand years. But, the dude," Trevor scoffs, "He loves you. And I shouldn't have to clean up after that motherfucker like some wingman, but the dude is trying." Trevor warm-heartedly smiles, looking at me with concern and honesty. 

Pushing off of the railing, Trevor turns back towards the door. Lost for words, I turn around to look at his retreat back.

Just before reaching the door, Trevor slightly turns his head.

"I will follow Stephan until the day I die. Don't think for a second that I won't kick you out the moment you start using him or fucking us over," Trevor smirks, his crystal blue eyes flickering in the sunlight.

"But, I like you. You're quiet, but you carry yourself differently than the other hoes. I know how to find someone who has been in their fair share of shit— You'd hate to admit it, but your one of us too. We should have each other backs, Sarah." Trevor's deep voice rings out, vibrating through my hollow bones. 

"Plus, you remind me of her..." Trevor turns back towards the door.

Just as he started to open the door, my body starts to move without me thinking.

"Who?" My voice rings out, slightly scratchy from yelling at Stephan.

I catch a flicker of Trevor's slight smile as he opens the door.

"Stephan's mother." And with that, Trevor leaves me behind, the wind pushing my frozen body as I vacantly stare at the door. 

I'm not sure how late it is, but I don't leave the balcony. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to face Stephan now. My feelings are so scattered, conflicted between Mackie's warnings and Trevor's earnest words. He said I look like her. Stephan's mom.

My head rests against the far wall, as I plop down on the same couch that I found Stephan on. Memories of that night hazily flash through my mind, cloudy and foreign.

Just as I feel my burning eyes slowly fading down, and my heavy body sinking in deeper, a clear deep slight-Irish voice rings out across the empty balcony.

"There you are."