32

"Wanna join me, baby?"

Stephan stands, a small clear glass of grey goose in his hands. My body automatically jumps, totally unaware of him standing next to me. I still can't really see him, the moonlight as my only source of vision. I hear the click of his shoes, and all of a sudden, the lights are turned on. Standing by the far hall, Stephan slowly saunters back to his white bench. Looking down from the bottle back to him, I hesitate for a second, picturing us all lovey-dovey while drinking together.

"I'm not going to try anything. I've had a long day, and so have you. So why don't you have a glass? We don't even have to talk" Stephan says, his voice sounding a whole lot smaller and weak. Seeing him with his shaggy hair flowing in the cool summer breeze, and his slightly ruffled white dress shirt, I get to see a different side of Stephan. A side that almost seems innocent, and— vulnerable... 

"Fine," I mumble, trying to hide the fact that I was looking for some alcohol, and that I really like Grey Goose. Lightly smirking, Stephan gets up, and walks back into the kitchen. A couple of seconds later, he emerges again holding another glass with a couple of ice cubes in his hand. Sitting back down, Stephan sets the glass down with a clink, and starts to pour the liquor into it. After filling it up, he hands it to me, in which I mutter a silent thanks and start to sip on it. 

The burning sensation down my throat brings back memories, but I nonchalantly brush those back and take a deep breath. Resting back on the railing, we both absorb this silence and let it fill that void in our hearts. I just let the quietness sink in and relish in it, slowly sipping from my drink to help clear out any thoughts or memories that might bring me back to reality. Right now, all I want to do is escape from everything, and the silence mixed with vodka is letting me do so. Even though the man that I hate with all of my heart and fear so much is right next to me, he just sits there and lets the silence settle into him. He swigs back his glass, and starts to pour himself another one.

The light breeze crosses my face, cooling off my blushed cheeks, and lightly brushes past my hair. For a second I feel myself start to relax, and my fatigue starts to catch up on me. My legs start to feel like lead, and I feel myself slowly flop onto the railing. But, I want to stay out longer. I want to keep this feeling.

Looking back at Stephan, he stares down onto his glass in deep thought. A soft glow settles on his skin, making him seem all the more handsome and alluring. But also powerless.

Taking a deep breath, I quietly walk over to him, to sit on the far edge on the bench, letting my body sag down and take off some of the pressure on my feet.

Minutes pass, the sound of clinking ice and the wind fill the empty silence. Out of the blue, Stephan clears his throat.

"Umm, Sarah?" Stephan quietly asks. Unsure of where this change of attitude came from, I faintly nod my head.

"Do you remember what you said? Before... when Mackie gave you that injection to make you sleep?" Stephan questions, making my eyes widen in shock. I'm not sure where all of this is coming from, that feels like forever ago when Mackie did that. Speaking of Mackie, I haven't seen him in forever. Looking down at my hands, I quietly try to remember that day, when I tried to escape from Stephan, and he caught me when I was about to pass out. He brought me to Mackie to help me, and then made Mackie inject something in me to make me pass out. Thinking hard, I finally realize what Stephan is talking about.

"I hate you... I said I hate you before I passed out." I conceded bluntly, not ashamed of my answer at all. I guess it's true that I hate him, but something in the way he looks makes me want to take it back. Biting his lip, he looks down at his drink and swishes it down again. he looks up at me, his eyes reflecting off of the soft light, making them swirling in hues of grey and green. I catch my breath. His eyes, they look so hurt and fragile. Is this what he is actually feeling? Instead of his usual demeanor?

"Yeah... I hate you," Stephan scoffs, "I guess I deserve that. I was the one that selfishly brought you into this life. I fucked your life up to more than it already was, and I broke my promise with him... Fuck, I can never do anything right" Stephan buries his head in his hands, his body tenses from this emotion that overtook him. 

I'm completely lost on what is happening. I've never seen Stephan like this before, and I feel extremely unsure of what to do. My mind is going around in circles, trying to figure out what he was talking about. 

"P-Promise? What promise, Stephan?" I curiously ask, extremely confused and shocked by Stephan's change in attitude.

"Oh... Well..." Stephan mumbles, but soon sighs loudly and starts to pour himself another drink.

"Your father. Gregory Hall." Stephan reluctantly says, making me hold my breath. M-My father? Wait, what is going on?? Stephan knows my father?

"H-How.. W-wh" I stutter, completely lost for words. The glass in my hand starts to slip out, and fall, but Stephan swiftly catches it before it crashed down on the ground. 

"Jesus... Fuck, I know. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. Your father made me swear to never to tell you, but now I've fucked up that promise as well." Stephan wipes a hand across his stressed face, as he softly places both glasses on the table. He turns to me and tries to grab my hands, but I roughly yank them away from him.

"Stephan, how do you know my father?!" I yell out, completely lost in my emotions, and not thinking of the consequences for my actions. Stephan tenses his jaw again, and pierces his eyes right into mine. God damn it, I know you don't like it when I yell at you, but this time you deserve it. What else am I supposed to do?

Taking a deep breath, both Stephan and I try to settle our racing hearts, as Stephan starts.

"Sarah, your father and I... Your father... He was my mentor—"