31

Moments pass.

Stephan's steady heartbeat thumps against my cheek, calm and composed. Hesitantly reopening my eyes, I swiftly glance back at Bates. Right next to him, one of his men is stood with a couple of pages flapping in his hands. Trevor, who used to be right by me, was stood right in front of this man with his arm outstretched. 

Feeling embarrassed for my irrational response, I try to push away from Stephan, but he just chuckles and holds me closer to him.

"What are you doing? I thought you wanted me to hold you? You're the one who latched onto me, love." Stephan smirked, a deep chuckle ringing out of his chest. Scrunching my face up, I mentally slap myself across the face. I have no idea why I thought grabbing onto him would save me from getting shot, but my body just moved without thinking. Probably because he was standing right by me... Yeah, that's it. Anyone would react the same way. If Trevor was standing where Stephan was, I probably would've grabbed onto him...

Getting out attention, Bates continues.

"This is the report of all of the weapons and ammunition that we just received yesterday. Everything is being looked over now, and assessed. But as soon as we are done with the usual process, we will have a huge market open for you and anyone else who is interested. Including Harris." Bates smugly smirks, clearly confident with his haul, and his power. 

"Why are you coming to us then?" Stephan questions, "You are a business partner with Harris too, not just us. So why make an offer with us?" Stephan professionally quires, making him seem almost like a normal human being. Trevor grabs the papers from Bates' man, and brings it back fro Stephan to glance over.

Bates chuckles, "I've always enjoyed doing business with you boys—" Bates pauses, "Plus, I only do things like this if I see a foreseeable profit. I'm a little more connected down in the streets than you and the Harris boy, and I can already see huge differences in the gangs. People talk, and most people are already putting down on their bets on you. Harris has been an asshole to everyone, stepping in and fucking up where he shouldn't, so I guess you can call this an investment in my business' future." Bates finishes, truly sounding like a common businessman.

Hearing Bates makes Stephan laugh deeply, and grabs the sheet from Trevor. Finally breaking away from Stephan's grip, I go and stand next to Trevor. Even though Stephan is still on my other side, he warningly growls, indirectly telling me that if I move any further, I'm going to be in trouble. Huffing, I remain next to Stephan, Trevor on my other side, and quickly glance down at the sheet Stephan is holding. I'm barely able to make out anything typed on it, but I'm able to pick up gun names such as USP .45, Desert Eagle, AK-47, and Ruger 10/22. Personally, I don't know a lot about guns, but from looking at the numbers, this man has thousands of guns to sell. Just how much influence does this man have with the mafia? I thought the mafia imported their own weapons and stuff?

"Well, it looks like your slacking a little bit, Bates. This is a pretty amateur selection," Stephan denounced, flipping the pages over again.

"I guess being a dealer isn't all sunshine and rainbows. Now, what are we talking about here? You're coming to me with this, so you better have a good deal for me." Stephan grunts. Bates looks a little uncomfortable with Stephan at this point, almost weak and desperate. 

"For half of it, $3 mill" Bates proposes, a little quieter than his usual nature. Stephan just folds the sheets in half and tosses it to Bates.

"All of it for 2. My final and only offer." Stephan declares without hesitation. Bates looks a little taken aback by Stephan's offer, but just looks to the same man who gave him the sheet, and nods.

"Fine. But, I hope you keep doing business with us." Bates weakly concurs. Swiftly nodding, Stephan reaches his hand out and wraps it around my waist.

"Bates, just one piece of advice. If you want a bigger deal and more of your profit in the future— Don't ever fucking insult someone's girl." Stephan threatens, pulling me next to him and leading me away from everyone. Trevor and the other two take Stephan's signal, and walk right behind us. I don't turn around, but I know that he probably has some disgusting and pissed off face on.

Once we get out of the park, Stephan laughs out loud. 

"Looks like we didn't get to have much of a walk, babydoll. At least we got some inventory from your little outing." Stephan teases, placing his hand on the small of my back again. My heart is still racing from that whole confrontation, and I'm way too wiped out to even push his hand off or walk faster than him. 

The rest of the walk back to his penthouse is completely silent, other than Stephan talking to Trevor.

▽▽▽

By the time it gets to midnight, I'm stuck wide awake in bed. Today's event flashes over my mind, and I find myself feeling too anxious to sleep. When we got back here, Stephan just lightly kissed me on my ear, and hurriedly walked off somewhere. I didn't care, I was starting to feel sick in his company. I keep forgetting that this man has kidnapped me, and was planning on marrying me. The moment I find myself thinking about him, or feel his arm on me, I start to gag and a deep pain settles in my chest. 

The only thing I'm wanting so badly right now is a drink. A strong one.

Wrapping a sweater over my pajama shirt and shorts, I wander around Stephan's house in search of a kitchen or some room that has alcohol. I know in my old house I used to have a bottle in basically every single room. That was mostly because I kept losing the bottles and kept buying more. Once I found the old ones, I had about twenty barely drank bottles, so I equally separated them into the different rooms in my small apartment.

At the end of the hallway, I see the small glimmer of light in the small crack underneath a door. Quietly placing my palm on the door, I slowly push it open and carefully peek around. I squint my eyes, the blinding light making it hard to see. Once they adjust, I see what looks like to be a kitchen. I don't see anybody, so I sneakily tiptoe in and search around for something that might have something to drink in it. Opening a huge double door fridge, I shocked to see absolutely no alcohol. Just shelves of fruits and other healthy foods that I've been given this whole time that I've been stuck here. I hear a loud thud behind me, and my whole body jumps around and raise my hands in a defensive stance. I don't see anything that could've made that loud noise, but a moving shadow draws my eyes towards the far window. I quietly approach it, my heart beating loud in my ears. 

Just as I got a couple of feet away from the window, I see that this window is actually a huge door, and it leads out to a balcony. Peaking out, I don't see anything, so I decide to quietly open the door and wander out into the fresh air. Placing my arms on the protective railing, I take a huge deep breath in and out. The sound of a glass clinking draws my head towards the far right corner of the railing, to see a towering dark figure leaning over the railing just like me, a drink in his hand.

"Wanna join me, love?"