Chapter 5

Clarissa's POV:

Next day, in the evening, Alan and I were watching TV. Will came in with a camera in his hand.

"What are you guys doing?"Will asked, holding up the video camera.

"Watching a movie." Alan asked.

Will pointed the camera in the direction of the TV, "Alice through the looking glass?" He asked.

"There was nothing good to watch so this was the next best thing." I said.

"Why are you recording?"Alan asked.

"Well, I've been doing some research on this thing," he held up my Rubik's cube,"and found out about the Rubik's cube championships." He replied.

"What about it?" I asked.

"Well you know how to solve a Rubik's cube, so I was wondering if you know anything about it at all."

"Yeah I know about them so?"

"I want to see what's your record." He said.

He tossed me a Rubik's cube and set the timer on his phone.

"Its solved." I said looking at the already solved Rubik's cube in my hand.

"Well then shuffle it." Will said.

"You want me to shuffle it?" I asked.

"Right." Will said and took the cube from my hands. I turned around and let him shuffle it.

When he was done he told me to turn back around so I can solve it.

In a few seconds I was done.

"Time?" I asked.

"13 seconds." Will said.

"What? Actually?" Alan asked.

"Yeah look." Will showed his phone to Alan and I looked over his shoulder.

"Wow, I honestly thought, I'll have a record of like a minute or so."

"Is there a trick to solve it?" Will asked.

"No tricks. Just algorithms. Learn those and you'll be a pro. There are a lot of methods to solve it. But the result is always the same. People have also set world records." I said.

"What method do you use?" Alan asked.

"Cfop." I answered.

"C-what?" Will asked confused.

"C - F - O - P. Cfop. C stands for cross. Then F stands for F2L meaning first 2 layers. O stands for OLL meaning orientation of the last layer and PLL meaning permutation of the last layer." I said.

They looked at me like I've spoken a foreign language.

"What?"I asked.

"Nothing. So, you said people have set world records. Who is the current world record holder?" Will asked, sitting down with the camera in his hand.

"Yusheng Du, 3.47 seconds."

"And before him?"

"Feliks Zemdegs, 4.22 seconds."

"And before him?"

"Colin Burns I think. His record was 5.25 seconds."

"What methods do they use?"Alan asked.

"Cfop. All of them." I answered.

"Alright, I think I have enough video for today." Will concluded, turning the camera off.

*~*

Mary called us all for dinner.

During dinner dad brought up school, "You guys know that school starts in two days, right?"

Alan groaned, "Dad, don't bring it up now."

Dad looked at him, "Too bad I want to talk about it right now."

Alan slumped back in his seat and crossed his arms.

"As I was saying, School is in two days and I want you guys to go and get some back to school supplies."

"What kind of supplies?" Will asked.

"Pens, pencils, geometry boxes, books and stuff like that." Dad answered.

"But, I don't want to go to school." Alan said.

"Then you shouldn't have dropped out." Dad said. "That way you would be free this year and the go to college next year." He continued.

"Fine." Alan huffed.

"Why did you drop out anyway?" Will asked.

"There wasn't anything useful to learn." Alan answered.

"Well those 'useless' things get you to college. I trust that you won't drop out this time." Dad said.

"Okay, so tomorrow we go back to school shopping, right?" I asked before this could turn into something major.

Will, getting my point, said, "Yeah we are and there will be no arguments on that."

After dinner I headed off to my room. I put on my pajamas and went to sleep.

And like every night there was a nightmare and like every night Will was there with me 'til I fell asleep again.
______________________________________________________________________

*cough*filler chapter*cough*.