Chapter 24

Clarissa's POV:

"Clary think. How did you do it?" Alan asked me as I paced back and forth in the living room.

"I don't know. It just happened."

"There had to be something you did. Something you might have seen that caused you to recall."

"I was just thinking all day and when I was walking to the cafeteria it just happened. I don't know what I did or what I saw. Or heard for that matter." I said and continued my pacing.

"Stop pacing and focus." He said and got me to sit down.

I put my hands on my temples and rubbed them. All this thinking have given me a headache.

Alan went to the kitchen to get me a glass of water. He arrived and handed me the water. I took a few sips before putting it on the coffee table.

"Feeling better?" Alan asked me rubbing my back.

"A little."

I tried to think of what made me recall. I got nothing. I didn't see anything on my way to the cafeteria.

How did it happen?

"I think I should talk to dad." I said and stood up.

I walked into my dad's study. He looked up and asked, "How are you feeling?"

"Fine."

"Did you find out what helped you recall?"

"I'm trying but I can't." I said, sitting on the couch.

Dad sighed and stood up. He came to sit beside me. He put his arm around me and pulled me to his chest.

We were both silent for a long time.

Suddenly dad said, "I know a way. It might help you regain most of your memories."

I pulled out of his embrace and asked him, "What is it?"

"You have to go back."

Confused, I asked, "Back where?"

"To James' house."

I was taken aback.

"What? Why?"

"To recall, Claire. Take your brothers with you. It might help you out in regaining most of your memory." He said.

"What if he's home?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"He won't be. I keep tabs on him so I know he won't be there for at least a few hours." Dad answered.

He looked at his watch, "Go now and wait for him to leave. Then you can go in."

"How do you know this?"

"I told you, I keep tabs on him." He handed me a piece of paper saying that it was the address.

"Okay." I agreed.

*~*

We were watching from the car, waiting for James to leave. I was watching silently when my eyes landed on a mailbox in the neighborhood.

With shaky legs, I limped to the front door making sure no one was around.

He beat me twice today. Just after I regained my consciousness and before that as well.

I can't deal with this anymore.

Just when I was about to open the door a voice spoke up making freeze.