Chapter 28

Clarissa's POV:

"Claire wait!" Will exclaimed as I ran in the house with the note in my hand.

I went to the kitchen to see Mary preparing lunch. Will and Alan came behind me.

"Mary. Where's dad?" I asked urgently.

"He's in his office. Why? Is-" I didn't let her finish her question and ran out the kitchen.

I raced up the stairs until I reached dad's study. I opened the door.

"Dad!" I said, catching my breath.

"Claire, breath for a second." Will said and took the paper out of my hand.

Alan helped me sit on the couch and gave me a bottle of water that he got from the kitchen.

"What is going on?" Dad asked.

I opened my mouth to answer but Alan put his hand on my mouth.

"Let Will explain. You need to breathe." He said. I huffed and drank more water from the bottle.

"So dad. Let me fill you in on the events of today." Will started off. Dad sighed and leaned back in his chair knowing this would be a long story.

"While driving to school, Alan complained about him driving us to school. Since now that we are legal we can have our license. When we got out of the car Alan and I were arguing about Clary and I getting our license. Claire was frustrated because we wouldn't stop arguing so she stomped on our foot and left after glaring at Alan."

"Will! Get to the damn point!" Alan yelled.

"I was about to. Anyways so, when she reached her locker, a note dropped out when she opened it. She picked it up and read the note. Then the bell rang. Thinking quickly, she stuffed it in her bag and left for Chemistry. Thanks to her amazing skills in Chemistry, I was able to get an A on the test that was today."

"WILLIAM!" I shouted.

"At lunch I found it and Max told us that he put it there and that we all should be careful." He finally finished.

Dad sighed.

"Where is the note?" He asked.

Will gave him the note that dropped out of my locker.

"This is the note you got?" Dad asked confused.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"This looks like a grocery bill." He said holding it up.

I went to his desk and got the paper from his hand. Indeed it was the bill for the milkshakes we brought on the way home. On the demand of Will.

I slapped Will's arm.

"You idiot! Where is the note?" I asked.

He dug into his pockets and pulled it out of his left one.

"Oh! Here it is." He said and handed it to dad with a smile.

I heard Alan slap his hand on his forehead.

Dad was just unfolding the note when the door opened. We turned around to see Mary coming in with a horrified look on his face.

"They're here. James is here." She said.

As soon as she said that, dad stood up to his feet and said, "William, take Clarissa to the safe room. NOW!"

"What safe-" I was cut off by dad.

"No time for questions. You need to be in the safe room." He said.

"Claire, come on." Will said. He grabbed my arm and started to pull me in the direction of this 'safe room'.