Chapter 27

Clarissa's POV:

"I don't get it." Alan said.

"What do you not get? You've been driving to and from school for two years. Did you forget the way or something?" Will said from the back seat.

He was laying on his back using his phone.

Currently, we are driving to school. Or as most students-including Alan-call it hell.

"Why am I still driving you guys to school when you both are already eighteen?" He asked.

"We didn't get our driver's license yet." Will said.

"You can now."

"We'll still take one car to school. Which will most likely be yours."

"Why?" Alan whined.

"Because dad said so. And to save gas."

By then we had reached the parking lot of the school. Alan parked the car in a vacant spot.

"I'll be sure to wake up early and drive off before you both do." He said as he got out of the car.

"Dad won't let you." Will said and got out of the car as well.

I rolled my eyes at the stupid topic of conversation they had. Even when I got out of the car they were arguing back and forth.

I went in between them and put my hands on their chests.

"Guys. We've reached school and the parking lot is filled with people today so please don't argue." I said looking in between them.

"He started it." Will said pointing at Alan.

"No I didn't." Alan said back.

I had no choice. So I stomped my foot on Will's and before Alan could even ask what was wrong, I stomped on his foot as well.

They both jumped up and down, holding their feet.

"What was that for?" Alan asked.

"To get you both to stop fighting." I said glaring at him.

I left them to deal with their injuries. I walked inside the school and went straight to my locker.

As soon as I opened it, a piece of paper fell out. I picked it up and unfolded it.

Be careful today. It said. It didn't have any indication of who might have left the letter. I tried to think who might have left it there.

The bell rang pulling me out of my thoughts. I quickly stuffed it in my bag and took out my books before walking to Chemistry.

*~*

By the time lunch arrived, I had completed forgot about the letter I got.

It wasn't until Will started to dig through my bag looking for my calculus notes.

"Clary, what's this?" He asked.

"What's what?"

He was looking at the piece of paper that fell out of my locker this morning.

He held it up so I could see it.

I shrugged. "I don't know. I found it in my locker today."

"And you didn't bother to tell us because?" Alan asked.

"Because I forgot." I said glaring at him.

"Do you know what it means?" Will asked.

"No. Do you?"

He shook his head.

"Who is it from?"

Now I was irritated by their questions.

"I don't know, Will. How about you see the name written on it." I said.

"There's no name here." He said checking both sides.

"Exactly. There is no name. How am I suppose to know who left it in my locker?"

"Someone who knows your locker combination." Alan said without missing a beat.

"I didn't tell my combination to anyone." I said.

"Then they might've picked the lock."

"Everyone knows that much, genius." I mocked.

"This could be a threat." Will said.

"Or this could be a warning.... From a good person." I said.

"How do you know that it is a good person?"

"I just made an assumption!" I exasperated.

We heard a chuckle. I turned to see Max leaning on the wall with a smirk on his face.

Will and Alan immediately went on protective mode.

"Oh! Don't mind me. I'm just here to entertain myself." He said.

"What do you want?" Will asked.

"Calm down. I'm just here to explain myself."

"You just said you were here to entertain yourself. Now you want to explain yourself? Just chose one." Alan said.

Max gave him a blank look, saying, "I want to explain myself."

He sat down on an empty chair and put his arms on the table with a smile on his face.

"So first off, let me tell you who left the note." He said.

Cue the suspicious music in the background.

"Are you just going to smile and look at us or are you going to tell us?" Will asked.

"Fine. You guys ruin all the fun. But if you really want to know....it was me." He said.

"Is this a threat?" Alan asked.

"No it's not. I don't mean any harm and I want you three to know that. So I want to explain myself." Max said.

"What do you mean 'no harm'? You are the son of the person that caused our sister to lose her memory. I suggest you leave if you don't want to create a scene." Alan said.

"I know who's son I am and I know what he did. But if you just listen to me-" Max was cut off by Will.

"We don't want to hear you explanation. We just want you to leave." He said.

Max looked down at the table, then back at us.

"Fine. I'll go. But remember Claire, be careful. It could happen anytime." He said.

"What can happen?" I asked.

"I can't tell you that. Your brothers want me to leave so....just be careful. All of you." He said and left.

Careful about what?
______________________________________________________________________