Two

"We're here!" My father says as we pull up to a large iron gate. I lean forward and watch as he dials some numbers on the keypad. The gate begins to slowly swing open and we drive into the private community in which the condo is located. I take in the brightly colored houses that line the narrow street. There are a few people walking on the sidewalks, and my father does that awkward finger wave at them as we drive by. We pull into a driveway that leads to a beautiful turquoise blue condo. I can't help but grin, it really is huge. I instantly love the look of the place. The trim is white, and there are tons of windows. I can just picture how incredible the views will be. I hope my room overlooks the beach.

I see my Aunt running out to greet us, "Hello family! I'm so glad you made it!" Shelly's strawberry-blonde hair is tied back and her tanned skin is glowing. She looks even more beautiful than I remember.

"You look amazing Michelle!" My mother exclaims.

"Oh Rach, living on the water agrees with me!" I run over to her and she hugs me tightly. "We are going to have the best summer, you just wait!" she promises. We file into the condo and dad helps bring in my luggage.

"Okay Katherine, your room is upstairs. Second room to the right. It has the best view, and you'll have your own balcony! There is a bathroom attached as well so you will have some privacy. Go set your things down and come eat." I thank her again and make my way up the stairs to see my new home for the next few months.

I can't help but grin like an idiot as I take in my room. Its perfect. There is a huge king-sized bed with a white comforter, a desk where I immediately unpack my laptop bag, and a killer view. Once I plug in my computer I push open the balcony doors and my senses are overwhelmed by the breeze and salty air. I can hear the waves crashing against the shore, and I think that it may be nice to sleep with the door open just to hear them as I fall asleep. The weather seems too good to be true, this all does. I look around and notice the neighboring condo is a sea-foam green. I can see a man in the living room watching the news, and a woman enjoying a glass of wine on the porch. She sees me watching and smiles sweetly, I return the smile and walk back inside.

I can hear my parents discussing something that sounds serious with Aunt Shelly as I make my way down the stairs. I try to stay light on my feet because for what ever reason I feel that if they hear me coming they will stop the conversation.

"I know she's a bright girl, but she needs to let loose some this summer. It's not good for a girl her age to be so damn responsible all the time!" It's Shelly. "When I was her age I – "

My mother cuts her off, "Michelle, I know what you were doing when you were Katherine's age... and we are pleased she isn't behaving that way. I want her to enjoy her summer, but just remember she has a lot of big decisions to make as well! She has to choose a college, and –" I roll my eyes. Of course this is the conversation.

My father's gentle voice interrupts, "Ladies, our Katherine has a good head on her shoulders. We do not have anything to worry about. Honey, she will be fine. Michelle, we trust you. This will be good for the both of you!"

I exhale and decide to make my presence known when I hear my mother make one last remark, "You're right Dan, our little girl is anything but a wild child." And they all laugh.

My cheeks are burning, and I can feel the pricks of tears in my eyes. Hearing myself talked about this way isn't fun. They meant no harm, but I can't help but feel like the butt of some joke. Sure, I was a straight A student and had never been in trouble. Or gone to a party... or had a boyfriend... or even been on a date for that matter. That didn't mean I was just some stick in the mud though! I had goals, and a plan for my life. I didn't have time for fooling around, and that was no reason to laugh at me. Shake it off Katherine, Shake it off. I walk into the dining room and my parents hug me tightly.

"We are going to hit the road soon kid," says my father. "We want to beat the traffic, and have a few hours until we reach our hotel for the night."

I force myself to smile, "Okay, drive safe. I love you." My mom looks like she may cry.

"Okay, Okay! Its only a few months. Get going you two! Leave us girls so our summer of awesome can begin!"

I cringe and she notices. "Summer of awesome?" I ask, and she laughs loudly. I watch as my mom and dad drive away, and we head back into the condo. Shelly asks me loads of questions and eventually asks if I want to take a walk on the beach. "Maybe tomorrow, I am exhausted." I lie. "Is it alright if I head up to my room? I want to check my email and get settled."

She looks disappointed, "Of course, let me know if you need anything."

The first thing I do when I close the bedroom door behind me is throw my body onto the bed. I sink into the thick down comforter. At least this bed is amazing, I think to myself. I start unpacking my hanging clothes first. The closet is big, and I don't even come close to having enough to fill it. Next, I start pulling out my folded clothes from the large suitcase and placing them into the dresser. I decide to let in the salty summer air and open the balcony doors. A good bit of time has passed, and I am sure Shelly is asleep by now. Something catches my eye and I slowly walk towards the railing. I look back over to the neighboring condo and notice they have turned off most of the lights. The only remaining light is a small outdoor light towards the corner of the property. There is movement underneath the dull lamp, and I squint trying to make it out. It is one of those outdoor showers made for rinsing off the sand after a day on the beach, and there is a man bathing under it. A naked man.

He obviously doesn't see me, and he has no shame. I shouldn't keep watching, but I am filled with curiosity. I watch as he turns and the moonlight bounces off the curves of his body. He seems tall, though it is hard to gauge height from this distance. I imagine that he is tall though, and handsome. I can't quite make out his features, but I can see that he is muscular. He turns again and I realize there are black markings covering his body. Tattoos, I think. He is moving slowly, precisely. He stands and lets the water pour over his face. I have never seen a naked man before, not in real life. A strange feeling is stirring in my lower belly, and I shift uncomfortably trying to make it subside. Abruptly, the water cuts off and the mysterious man disappears into the darkness.