Seven

When I open my eyes the room is filled with sunlight. I got back into my room a little past two in the morning, and I fell right asleep. I smile as I remember the events from the night before. I wonder what Thomas had in mind when he asked me to hangout again. I walk over to the balcony and look towards the Dalton's condo. Cynthia is sprawled out on a pool float flipping through a magazine. I back away before anyone sees me watching, the last thing I need is to look like some weird stalker. I walk downstairs to find my aunt, but she isn't in her room. I see a note stuck to the fridge.

"Gone to lunch with a friend, be back later. Have some fun! - Shelly"

Alright, I can manage being on my own for a few hours. Settling on hitting the beach again, I pull on my bikini. It is a beautiful day. The sun is shining, and the breeze is perfect. I head out onto the balcony and take a seat on a small bench. I rub tanning oil over my legs, then my arms, then the rest of my body. I take my time to make sure no spots are missed. I stand and stretch my arms above my head. Just as I am about to head back into my bedroom a whistle catches my attention. I whip around and see Beau staring back at me. He is standing on a small balcony directly across from me.

"Thanks for the show." He says with a smirk. What show? What does he mean by that? I play back my actions and realize he must have been standing there the whole time... watching me rub the oil across my body. I can feel the heat on my cheeks.

"I uh, I didn't see you there." I manage to stammer out.

"I noticed." He says flatly. I am mortified. I instantly have the urge to cover my body. I reach behind me for the knob and push open the balcony door.

"Hey, Katherine!" He calls out before I can shut the door behind me.

"Yeah?" I poke my head back out.

"Stop being so self-conscious. You look good." And just like that he is gone, just as quickly as he came. What. Was. That. I am glad there is no one there to see the bewildered look on my face as I stare at the closed balcony door. I step into my coverup, and then pause.

I replay his words in my mind. I find myself shrugging it back off and tossing it on the bed.

"Stop being so self-conscious. You look good."

His voice was smooth and deep. That strange feeling in my lower belly is back, and I squeeze my thighs together.

"What in the world, pull yourself together Katherine." I say out loud to myself. I grab my sunglasses and book, then head downstairs toward the back door.

A few hours go by, and I am pages away from finishing my book. I have been trying to spend an even amount of time on each side to avoid awkward tan lines, and it is time to flip again.

"There she is!" I hear Shelly exclaim. I look up at my aunt and smile.

"How was your lunch?" She has been gone for a while, but I don't want to pry by asking too many questions.

"Oh it was alright. What do you have planned for the rest of the day?" She asks. She is wearing more makeup today, and her hair is styled. I wonder if she was on a date.

"I'm not sure to be honest. Thomas mentioned hanging out, but I haven't seen him around yet." She arches an eyebrow and grins to show her amusement.

"I just knew you two would hit it off!" I blush, and remind her that we had only just met.

"He is nice, and we had a great time last night." Shelly is beaming, and i know she appreciates me adding in that detail.

"Want me to fix you a sandwich?" Shelly asks as she heads back towards the condo.

"Sure, thanks. Turkey please! I'll be right in." I call back. I prop my body up on my elbows as I take in the last pages of the epic romance that is Pride and Prejudice. I close my eyes and imagine what my world would be like back then. Relationships grew much slower, and I think I would like the idea of being courted by a gentleman. There would be only timid intimacy in the beginning, and then once passion took hold of us we would be married. I picture a tall, handsome man in a suit approaching me as I step out of my carriage. He would extend his arm to me, and escort me across the cobblestone street. I would thank him for his chivalry, and he would kiss my hand. I am startled away from my fantasy by a ridiculously loud giggle.

I look around and see they are coming from the perfectly plump lips of a girl who looks like she just stepped off the Victoria's Secret runway. Her tanned legs are long, and her stomach is toned and tight. Damn. I try not to stare, but I can't look away. Her long red hair is blowing in the wind as she runs through the sand. I am in awe of her for a moment, until I realize what she is running from. Chasing behind her is a smiling and shirtless Beau Dalton.

The scene before me is confusing, mainly because he looks happy and carefree as he chases this beautiful woman down the beach. He is even laughing... loudly. The typical scowl that is stamped onto his face is nowhere to be found. The woman's barely there red bikini fits her body like it was made for it. I look down at my own, and instantly want to go shopping for a new one. Beau catches up to her and slings her over his should as if she weighs nothing. She screams playfully and kicks her legs about acting as if she wants him to put her down. It doesn't take my 4.0 GPA to know she has absolutely zero desire to actually be put down. He reaches up and slaps her ass, and she giggles even louder. I keep telling myself to look away, but I just can't. With her still slung over his shoulder he makes his way back towards the condos. His eyes find mine, and he raises his eyebrow. This is the expression I have become familiar with when it comes to Beau.

Without breaking eye contact he lowers her body until her breasts are even with his. She wraps her legs around his waist, and buries her face into his neck. At some point during this exchange her bikini bottoms had come untied on one side. She didn't care, hell I doubt she even noticed. He must have seen where my eyes were looking and his expression changes to one of pure hunger once he sees her exposed bottom. His large hand covers the bare skin, and he squeezes aggressively.

"Oh Beau, you are so bad!" She teases.

His eyes lock on mine once again, "Baby, you have no idea how bad I really am."

When the couple disappears into the condo I try to steady my breathing. What the hell was that. I curse myself for allowing that boy to have this kind of effect on me. It's like I can't even function in his presence. And that weird intense eye contact? What is his problem? I roll up my towel quickly and push out the thoughts taking over my mind. Seeing his body pushed up against her body was... well it was uncomfortable. This is clearly not someone that I want to be spending time with, and I am thankful that his brother is nothing like him. I just need to keep my distance from Beau Dalton. Even though I keep telling myself these things over and over, I can't help but wonder what is happening inside that condo. I shake my head and push open the door.