Ten

Thanks to the copious amounts of alcohol in my system, the mere sight of Beau isn't making me squirm. We win two more games, and it's time for the final round. We are up against one of his friends and what I am assuming is his girlfriend. The atmosphere out here has gotten intense, and if I hadn't been drinking I would probably find this whole situation ridiculous. They were taking this tournament so seriously. I guess that's what you get when you mix competition and booze. I have been on fire all night, and have no trouble making cups. Beau is a good shot too. We take turns drinking when the other couple makes a shot, and every so often someone will hand me more of the cinnamon liquor. I am grateful the amount of beer in these cups is so small. I am not sure how much longer I can keep going. When we are down to one cup each the two boys begin to smack talk each other pretty brutally. The girl and I roll our eyes and laugh together.

"Beau, your turn." I remind him. He ignores me and continues to insult the guy on the opposing team. I tap the ball against the table hoping to get his attention with no success. I look over and see the girl isn't paying attention, and the boys are clearly tied up in their pissing contest. I quickly bounce the ball across the table and it lands directly into the last cup. It takes them a few seconds to realize what happened, but before I know it Beau has hoisted me onto his shoulders and announced me as the champion.

If you would have told me a week ago that I would be sitting on the shoulders of an insanely attractive guy after winning a beer pong tournament, I would have thought you were crazy. Hell, It feels crazy to be experiencing it. I look over to my aunt's condo and see her leaning over the balcony railing holding a wine glass. She winks at me, and returns inside. I know she is happy that I am living a little. Well, living a lot at the moment. Beau lowers me down off his shoulders and plants my feet firmly on the ground. I wobble a little, finally feeling the effects of those shots. I think the adrenaline of the tournament kept me focused, but now that it was over my head felt fuzzy.

"Woah.. When the ground start moving?" I look up at Beau and he has a concerned look on his face.

"Are you going to barf?" He asked me flatly.

"Uh, no. I mean, I don't think so. Do you think I'm going to barf?" I can't tell if he is frustrated or amused.

"How the fuck am I supposed to know that?" He asks. If he can be sassy, so can I.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Poor little inexperienced Katherine is drunk for the first time. How inconvenient for big bad Beau." I roll my eyes and walk into the house. The stunned look on his face is priceless, and I feel an unmatched sense of accomplishment as I leave him standing there.

Once inside I am scared I may actually throw up. Of course the bathroom on the main floor is taken, so I rush up the stairs. I head straight for the bathroom refusing to take any more detours through the boy's bedrooms. I cross my legs and sit in front of the toilet. I forgot to close the door, so when Beau walks by he knocks on the door frame to announce himself.

"You okay?" He asks.

I answer, "Honestly, I have no clue. I've never done this. I don't do this." He laughs.

"Well, it looks like you do this now." I roll my eyes again and look at the toilet in front of me.

"Once you get sick you'll feel better." He says softly.

"I don't feel sick. I think I just got too hot outside." I start to stand, and he pulls me to my feet. He looks at me for what seems like minutes. His hands are still clasped around mine from helping me up, and I wonder if he realizes that. I shift my weight a little, and I think he can tell that I am uncomfortable. He drops my hands and takes a step back.

"Sorry Kat, I was just-" I cock my head to the side.

"Kat?" I ask. He grins and shrugs his shoulders.

"It fits you. Every member of the group needs a nickname. According to you I am Big Bad Beau, so I reckon I'll call you Kat." I cover my face in embarrassment.

"I can't believe I said that. I don't even know where that came from." I mutter. He laughs again, and I groan. "I am never drinking again."

He throws up his hands and scoffs, "Hell yeah you are. You were fun tonight. You aren't one of those annoying drunks, or an emotional one either. You just turn into a badass beer pong champion."

I grin back at him and think to myself, "You are one confusing man, Beau Dalton. Beautiful, but confusing." He bites his lip, and takes a step towards me.

"Beautiful huh?" He asks.

"Fuck. I- I did not mean to say that out loud." I try to step back again but I am now against the wall.

The look in his eyes looks familiar, but I can't figure out where I have seen it before. "So is this one of those drunken words equal sober thoughts moments?" He asks quietly. He steps towards me again, and I say nothing. I am beyond mortified, and I just want to disappear. That look. It's the same hungry look he got while carrying the half naked woman into his house. Oh shit. This isn't happening. I can feel his breath on my neck, and I close my eyes.

"Open your eyes," he whispers. I shake my head and leave them closed. "Katherine.." he whispers again. I exhale slowly and open my eyes. His face is so close to mine I can see the gold flecks in his eyes. They are a spectacular deep green. When the light hits them the gold shines through, and they make me want to melt into him.

"I've never kissed anyone before." I blurt it out, and instantly wish I could take it back. I have just ruined my one chance at kissing this gorgeous man by revealing just how much of a child I really am. He takes his hand and moves the hair from my face and places it behind my ear. His movements are so slow and tender I can barely breathe.

"When is your birthday?" He asks. What? My birthday? Is he trying to change the subject?

"Two days." is all I can muster up.

"I can deal with that." he says into my ear, and my entire body shudders. Then he backs up and walks down the stairs.

What. The. Fuck. Just. Happened.