What Comes Next?

When Katherine Ivy Wilder turned back and watched as her aunt's home faded away from view, there was a tsunami of emotions raging within her. There was an ache so deep that made everything hurt, all the way to her bones. There was an anger burning so hot that even the breeze from a crisp Florida morning couldn't dull it. There was something else, too. An intense longing that she had never felt before. It felt as if a piece of her was missing. 

Katherine had always felt that was just a cliche used in romance novels, that there was no way the one you love walking away would literally rip you in half from the inside out. 

It wasn't a cliche, though. It was real. She was almost certain the mark left by Beau Dalton would last forever. He had burrowed into her life and heart, and staked a claim there that she had no intention of turning her back on. 

Katherine may not know where he is, but that wasn't going to stop her from loving him. There was no way he could walk away after everything, not for good. He needed his space, he needed to heal. She could give him that time. No matter how far he traveled, nothing would erase the memories they'd made that summer. Nothing could keep them from reuniting. 

At least, that's what Katherine kept telling herself.