Thirty-Seven

Launching from that boat was one of the most exhilarating things I have ever experienced. With each second the boat picked up speed, lifting us higher and higher into the sky. The farther we got, the quieter the sounds of the boat below us became. Before long, it felt as if we were truly flying. The wind on my face and the slight taste of salt on my tongue is magical.

"Having fun?" He asked, taking in the look of pure wonder on my face. I nod, unable to speak at the moment. It was terrifying, exciting, and empowering all at the same time.

The descent back to the boat felt like floating, and Johnny flashed us both a thumbs up when we'd safely landed back on board. Once I was fully detached from the harness I threw my arms around Beau's neck.

"That was incredible, thank you."

He nuzzled into my neck and placed a kiss there, sending me swooning all over again.

The ride back to the pier was spent entangled in each other's arms, and for the first time in a while my mind wasn't fixated on what will happen when Summer ends.

"So what's next?" I asked, excitedly. I couldn't really remember everything on my list, so there was no telling what he planned to do next.

He smirks, "Remember, you have to say yes."

Unease fills me. "Beau, what exactly am I saying yes to?"

He grabs my hand and pulls me down the pier, towards a row of tourist trap shops. He stops in front of one of them, crosses his arms, and doesn't even try to hide his amusement.

I look up at the sign. Sail Away Tattoo.

"You have lost your mind." I say flatly.

He pulls out the paper from his pocket and dangles it in front of my face. "Oh, no you don't. You're the one who put it on your bucket list. Plus, you have to say yes. That's the rule."

The image of my mother going postal over her perfect daughter coming home from a summer away with fresh ink flashes through my mind. "My mom would kill me." I say, shaking my head.

"It says you have to get either a tattoo or a piercing. My vote is obviously for a tattoo, but whatever you are more comfortable with." Beau retorts, still sporting a massive grin.

We walk into the tattoo shop and a gorgeous woman covered in ink greets us. "Hey, what can I do for you?"

"My girl is here to check an item off her bucket list. Aren't you, Kat?"

Remembering the rules, I grit my teeth. "Yes."

The girl laughs, "Alright. What do you want done?"

I think for a few moments. I've pretty much ruled out a tattoo by this point. Not only would my parent's totally lose their shit, but I also wouldn't be able to get in the water. Having to avoid the ocean my last two weeks in Florida for the summer seemed like a waste.

"Uh, a piercing I think. Maybe my cartilage?" It's the safest choice I can come up with, and Beau nods in approval.

He browses through the books of artwork lining the table as she preps my ear for the piercing. I lose myself for a few moments, watching him analyze each drawing. In fact, I don't even hear her count down. Suddenly, a searing pain rips through me.

"Ow!" I cry out.

She laughs again, "All done. It's better when you don't know it's coming."

Easy for you to say, lady.

When we're back on the pier I lace my fingers through his, "I think that's enough excitement for one date. Don't you think?"