Eight

I am stretched out on the sofa scrolling through my email when there is a knock at the door. Shelly yells that she's coming, and opens the door.

"Hey Thomas!" She exclaims. I sit up and wave at my new friend.

"Wanna hangout?" He asks. I nod, and ask for a second to change. I run upstairs and pull off my bathing suit. I throw on one of the new sundresses from my closet and brush my hair quickly. My skin looks a little pink, but I am okay with that. I brown easily, so it won't last. I scoop up my hair into a ponytail and pull out a few of the shorter pieces. Not bad. I decide against makeup. I don't want to look like I am trying too hard. I head down the stairs and wave goodbye to Shelly.

"Text me later Katherine, have fun." She calls after me.

"What have you been up to today?" I ask him. He explains that him and his parents went shopping in the next town over. That explains Beau's little play date.

"Why doesn't your brother come with you guys when you go places?" I hope he doesn't get upset with my curiosity.

"Nah, he normally has no interest in tagging along. You see him today?" He responds.

"Yeah, Him and his girlfriend were on the beach today while I was laying out. They sure do like each other." I joke. Thomas laughs and shakes his head.

"I'm not sure who you saw, but I can promise you she is not Beau's girlfriend. One thing about my brother... He does NOT date. Now he will fool around, but there are never any strings." I am so confused. The couple I saw today was happy, and very much together. I could never imagine acting that way with just some random person. I don't say anything, and Thomas nudges me with his elbow.

"I told you, he's different. That will be the first of many girls you'll see throughout the summer. They know what they are getting themselves into though. It's not like he hides the way he feels about relationships. From the jump he will tell you where he stands" Thomas shrugs, "Honestly I think that's why so many girls throw themselves at him. The ladies love a bad boy" My mind replays Beau's words from earlier.

Baby, you have no idea how bad I really am.

We approach the Dalton's condo, and Thomas lingers at the door.

"Want to come in? We can watch a movie or something." I had been curious to see the inside, and nod. He slides open the glass door and and waves for me to enter first. Thomas is a gentleman, and that makes me smile.

"My parents sleep on the main level, right through there." He points towards a hallway past the living room. "Our rooms are upstairs. My little sister's room is up there too. She will be back in a few days. You'll love Abby, shes a lot of fun." Its cute how he talks about his sister. He seems to adore her.

"Where are your parents?" I ask him. I hadn't seen or heard anyone since we'd walked inside.

"They are out having dinner with some friends. They won't be home until later. Beau is probably out with whoever the flavor of the week is." He laughs at his own joke.

"You make me sound like such a dick." I hear Beau's voice before I see him. He comes around the corner and hops onto the couch.

"Sorry man, the truth hurts." Thomas laughs and shrugs his shoulders. I avoid making eye contact with Beau, and instead smile at Thomas.

"Yeah yeah, whatever you say little brother. What do you two have going on tonight?" I can feel his eyes on me but I don't look at him.

"Nothing really. There isn't much to do tonight. We could watch a movie or play some video games?" He looks to me for approval, and I nod.