Twenty-Eight

As I sit on the bed in my room I think about the events that have taken place since I arrived. I have attended my first party, gotten drunk for the first time, had my first kiss AND gone on a date. I have come out of my shell more than ever before. Having the Dalton brothers show me the kind of attention that no guy ever has is doing wonders for my self esteem. Last night with Thomas was perfect, and I'd meant it when I said I was glad it was him I was spending time with.

This time away from the enigma that is Beau Dalton has been refreshing, and honestly wasn't sure how I would feel when he came back. I glanced at the open balcony door and breathed in the salty Florida air that I have come to love so much. Staring at the door also causes the butterflies in my stomach to flutter wildly. The bad boy next door whose balcony mirrors mine flashes across my mind again.

Now that I know he will be home tomorrow it is becoming harder and harder to pretend what happened between us didn't effect me. I had plans with Thomas again tonight, so that would help a little. We were meeting his mother at the dress shop to finally see what I would be wearing to the fundraiser, and then grabbing dinner afterwards.

Walking into Giovanni's is like entering a dream, and his warm embrace is the icing on the cake. He has a way of making you feel like a celebrity, and that is not something I have ever experienced before. Cynthia rushes in a few minutes behind us and wraps me in her arms.

"Hello my darling! I have barely been able to function today, I have been so excited to see what magic our Giovanni has conjured." She kisses both my cheeks and regards me with motherly affection.

"I can't wait to see it either, but I have a feeling no matter what it looks like Katherine will look stunning." I hear the compliment leave Thomas' lips and I blush.

"On this, we all agree!" Giovanni says as he claps his hands together. "Come, let's go get this show on the road."

I am let back to the curtained off room and Giovanni brings in a black garment bag. "Ready?" he asks.

"Yes!" the excitement thick in my voice.

He pulled the dress from the bag and my breath hitched in my chest, "Oh my God, it's beautiful. I can't- I don't even know what to say!" My hands are covering my mouth, and Giovanni beams with pride.

The dress is long and strapless with a sweetheart neckline. The entire dress is drizzled with different shades of gold sequins and gemstones fanned out in spiral patterns.

After he helped me into the tight fitting gown he led me to a full length mirror, "Turn, look at the back!"

The dress is essentially backless. It falls in a drape that is just low enough to be classically sexy without being too risque. "It's incredible, Giovanni. Thank you. I have never seen anything so beautiful."

"Well, let's go show them!" He claps again and pulls the curtain open.

Cynthia cannot contain her excitement, and the way Thomas is looking at me makes my cheeks burn. His eyes are wide, and his mouth hasn't closed yet.

"Close your mouth, you'll catch flies little brother." The sound of Beau's voice makes my heart skip a beat.

"Oh! You're here! Thank you, dear. Our garment bags are hanging on the rack by the door." Cynthia took Beau's hand in hers and squeezed it.

He was here, and he was staring at me. I wanted to rush back into the dressing room and hide. I bit my lip and tried not to show just how shaken I was at the sight of him.

"Isn't it stunning?" Their mother cooed.

"Yes, she is." Beau answered in a low, gruff voice that almost resembled a growl. It was primal.

I seemed to be the only one in the room that noticed the change in pronoun there, and the tone in which he spoke.

Cynthia regarded me with grace and affection. Thomas gazed at me with admiration and wonder. But Beau... He was undressing me with his eyes. I felt exposed, and the heat pricked at my skin like tiny needles. It was exhilarating, and I couldn't breathe.

"Okay, Okay! Lets get this off and back into the bag so you can get out of here!" Giovanni's voice broke through the thick tension enveloping the space between Beau and I.

I giggled awkwardly, and allowed him to lead me behind the curtain.

As the four of us exited the shop I almost forgot that I was leaving with Thomas, and I hated that the thought instantly made me worry what Beau would think.

Dammit Katherine, what is wrong with you?

I hate how much his presence affected me. I was so happy spending time with Thomas, but as soon as I am in the same zip code as Beau my body fails me.

"Are you ready, Katherine?" Thomas called, and I saw Beau narrow his eyes. The confusion was evident, and I wanted to vomit.

"You two have fun tonight! Beau, want to take your mother out to dinner?" Cynthia said, linking her arm in his.

"Uh, sure mom. Where are you headed?" He was looking at me, but Thomas answered.

"The pub, we have a reservation for 8." he said coolly.

The word reservation made it quite clear that this was a date, and it caused me physical pain that I wished he wouldn't have said it.

"Katherine? Ready?" Thomas asked again, and I knew I had to answer.

"Yes, of course." I broke off my gaze with Beau, and his jaw tightened as Thomas held the car door open for me. I forced myself not to look in the side mirror to see his reaction.

When he slid into the drivers seat he let out a deep breath and laughed. "Well, I for one am even more excited for tomorrow night after seeing you in that dress."

He was so kind, and never lacked in the romance department.

"I am excited too, the dress is amazing. Giovanni outdid himself." I replied, and he nodded.

"I mean, sure the dress is great... but it's the girl wearing the dress that took my breath away."

What do you even say to that? I sure as hell didn't know. Heat radiated in my cheeks again and I knew they were tinged pink.

"It's cute when you blush. It's like you really have no clue how beautiful you are."

Jesus. Now I really had no clue what to say.

"I- thank you. You are too sweet to me, Thomas." That is all I could muster.

Thankfully, he didn't keep talking. Instead, he reached for my hand and took it in his. This I was okay with, anything to stop having to listen to these constant compliments. Of course I appreciated it, but I felt so out of my element here and it was making my skin crawl.

By the time we reached the restaurant I had calmed down significantly. My brain teased me that I was far enough away from Beau that his gravitational pull had lost its grip on me. Dinner was perfect, and Thomas was a gentlemen. He suggested I try the lobster bisque and crab cakes, and I agreed. It seemed like he enjoyed making the decisions, and I didn't mind.

Afterwards he walked me to the front door of my Aunt's condo, and placed a single sweet kiss on my lips. I thanked him for another amazing evening, and he retreated to his own driveway.

As I made my way up the stairs I could feel it again. The inherent desire to step out onto the balcony and see if he waited for me there was almost too much to bear.

Nope. I will not do it. I will call Sam, and tell her how incredible my dress is. I will not stand in front of that door praying that he is there. I will not open that freaking door. I will take a bath and go to bed.

Who the hell am I kidding. I was opening that damn door.