Thirty-One

I know the song is coming to an end, but I am not ready to let go of him. I wondered if Thomas and Sam saw me with Beau, and if so... what were they thinking? Or Mr. and Mrs. Dalton. I wondered if everyone else in the room was as aware of what was happened between us as I was. The music stopped, and I tightened my hold on Beau. I needed to break away from him, but it wasn't easy. I gave myself one second longer, and then I dropped my arms back to my side.

"Thank you, for the dance." I said, my voice breathy.

"Kat-" he started, but as if fate were testing us he was interrupted.

"Thanks for keeping my date busy, brother." Thomas said, as he snaked his arm around my waist. His gaze met Beau's, and neither of them blinked. This was a stare-off. Any doubt I had that Thomas had seem me with his brother had vanished. Of course he had. He was marking his territory.

"No problem, little brother. She looked a little bored, I figured she might enjoy some excitement." What the hell was that? I shot Beau a sharp glance, but he didn't acknowledge me.

"Beau, such the gentleman to look out for my date like that." Thomas matched his brother's tone, and the way his lips hung onto the word my made me shudder.

Okay, this was getting way too intense for me. As if on cue, Sam entered into the picture. "What are we talking about?" she said, innocently. 

No one answered, and a flicker of realization flashed across her eyes. I tried to scream help me with my own eyes, and prayed she got the picture.

"Beau, dance with me?" she asked. I held my breath and hoped he agreed.

He stared at me, but eventually broke the gaze and nodded. When they disappeared into the horde of dancing couples I finally let out the breath I had been holding in.

A part of my thought Thomas would move past this without us needing to address it, but we all know that isn't the case. "You two sure did look cozy." he said quietly, a iciness to his voice that I had not heard from him before.

I wasn't sure how to respond to that, but before I could he spoke again. "Look, it's obvious he was trying to mess with me, so lets just forget it happened. I don't want him to think he succeeding in ruining our night. Just do both of us a favor and keep your distance."

I wasn't sure what to make of this side of Thomas, but I sure as hell didn't appreciate being told who to stay away from. "Thomas, you can't tell me who I can and can't talk to. I don't like that."

He stopped abruptly and turned to face me, "Sorry, Katherine. It just bugs me how he acts with you. It's like he is always watching you."

What? He was always watching me? So Thomas had noticed Beau's... interest in me?

"What do you mean he is always watching me?" my voice in a whisper again.

"I really don't want to have this conversation, can we just not talk about my brother anymore? Please?" Concern flashed in his eyes, and I nodded. I let him lead me back onto the dance floor and for a brief moment my eyes found Beau's as he danced with Sam. Their movements were so much different than ours had been. With her, he looked stiff and uncomfortable. I looked away from the two of them and focused my attention back to my date.

My feet were killing me, and to be honest I had had about all of the roaring 20's I could handle for one lifetime. "Thomas, I can barely stand. These heels are murdering my toes." He laughed.

"I am about to head to the men's lounge with my father to drink some very expensive scotch and watch them smoke cigars. They are really eating up this Gatsby shit. We can leave after though?" childish excitement was all over his face from being invited by his father. I couldn't rain on that parade.

"I may just catch a ride with Sam, if that's okay? We were planning on a slumber party." I shouldn't have lied about that last part, but I didn't want him to feel guilty for making me stay.

"Oh, are you sure? We can just leave now if you are really wanting to go?" disappointment replaced his excitement, but I smiled and shook my head.

"No, please go hang out with the men. I mean it." I tried to flash my most reassuring smile to convince him that I really wasn't upset. His eyes lit up again, and I knew I'd succeeded.

"You are seriously the best. I'll call you tomorrow?" He kissed my cheek and bounded up the stairs after a group of men who looked like they were on their way to a board meeting.

I found Sam and asked her if I could stay with her tonight, and she excitedly agreed. We slid out of the party and into the parking lot in search of her trusty VW bug.

"Kat?" Dammit. I heard his voice, and my blood ran cold. Beau had pulled up beside us and rolled down the window. "Can I give you a ride home?" he asked coolly.

Sam looked at me with both eyebrows raised, "I mean if you want to it's fine... but you better call me as soon as you get home. I mean it."

I glanced back and forth between the two of them, and weighed my options. I had no business getting into that car with Beau, but that magnetic pull began to work its magic on me.

"I need to talk to you."

Those words sealed my fate, and Sam smirked because she already knew what my decision was. "I'll call you as soon as I am home, I promise." I said as I slid into the passenger seat of Beau's car.

Again, neither of us spoke as he drove down the dark and winding road. One thing I was sure of, we were not heading towards our houses.

"What do you need to talk to me about? And why aren't we headed home?" I asked, trying to hide the mixture of fear and wonder I was experiencing.

"Just trust me."

I did trust him, in some weird way.

"You shouldn't have teased your brother like that after we danced." I said, and he exhaled.

"I know, but I couldn't exactly help it. The way he staked his claim pissed me off."

I narrowed my eyes,"Staked his claim?"

Beau ran a hand through his hair and tensed his jaw. The feeling that zipped through my body was electric. "I am trying to back off, I really am. It's not easy Katherine. I don't really know how to... well, not get what I want."

I did want him to back off, right? In fact, I needed him to back off. There was not a chance in hell I could give this thing with Thomas a fighting shot unless he did.

We pull into the parking lot and I can see the water shimmering in the distance. "Come on, I want to show you something." I nod, and follow him towards a wooden pier. There were boats of all shapes and sizes lining it, rocking back and forth as the waves roll in and out.

Beau stops in front of one of the boats and I can tell by the look in his eyes it's the Andiamo, the boat he'd sailed away in when he discovered his father's affair. This was quite literally his getaway vehicle, his one safe place... and he wanted to share it with me.