Nineteen

When I wake up I realize Sam is in the bed next to me. She is propped up against my headboard flipping through her book, and she smiles when she sees that I am awake. "Good morning, sunshine." she chirps.

"Hey. Sorry I bailed last night. Things got a little intense." I say sleepily.

"Yeah, I'm going to need details. Lots of them." she peers at me and closes the book. I take a deep breath and launch into the events from the night before. I didn't plan on being so candid, but truth be told I need to get this off of my chest. Sam's mouth is wide open and she is blinking unnaturally fast.

"What the hell girl..." she says in awe. I simply nod. "Are you okay? I mean holy shit. That's a lot to take in." I think about her question, and I don't know if I am okay. "Um.. so what are you going to do? You know.. about Thomas and Beau?" I groan. I hadn't even thought about Thomas yet.

"You said he asked you out... and that you said yes. But how can you do that after what happened with Beau?" She is right. It would be wrong to go out with Thomas when he has no clue what happened.

"Should I tell him? Or just say I can't go? I don't know what to do. I am so out of my element here." I whine. Sam is deep in thought, likely trying to process this fucked up situation in her mind.

"Or you could just not." she says, and I am confused.

"Beau pulled some messed up shit last night, but why should that screw up something that could be really good for you? I mean, Thomas is a great guy. He would never treat you like that. Plus, if you are dating Thomas I'm sure Beau would back off. It could be a win-win." she seems pleased with her little plan. "At least go on the date. Then, see how you feel?" her tone is caring, and I know she just wants what is best for me.

Once Sam has gone home, I hear my phone vibrate against the nightstand. It is Thomas.

Hey there. How does dinner tonight sound?

I look at the message on the screen and let out a long breath.

I type, That sounds nice. What time? I hit send, and take a seat at the desk. It buzzes.

How does 6:30 sound? I can meet you out front.

I imagine him sitting in his room watching the screen, waiting on my response to pop up. I know he is probably smiling, and planning out the things he will say to me on our date.

That will be perfect. I will see you then.

I press send again, and lay the phone down. The piece of paper that contains the bucket list stares at me, and I pick up a black marker. I look down the list, and drag the marker over the line that says First Base. I replace the cap on the marker, and walk back to the bed. I crawl back in and decide to go back to sleep for a while.

Today has been weird. It's almost like I have been in a daze. I know some of it is due to the hangover, but then part of it is the emotional exhaustion from the night before. Shelly asks if I will run to the mailbox for her, and I agree. She has been on the phone most of the day, and seems very preoccupied. I walk towards the large metal box that contains the mail for all the condos around it. I have the small key in my hand, and I look for her address. I find the door with the numbers 48 etched into it, and slide the key in. There are only a few envelopes inside, so I scoop them out and close the door. As I make my way back towards the house, I see Beau waiting for me.

His hands are stuffed into his pockets, and he is looking down at his feet. I want to walk past him and back into the safety of my aunt's condo, but I know I won't be able to avoid him forever.

"Hey." he says flatly once I am close enough.

"Hi." I respond. He looks up from his feet and his eyes meet mine.

"I want to talk about last night." he says. I shake my head.

"There isn't anything to talk about. I think we should just pretend it never happened." I say quietly.

"What if I don't want to do that?" he says, his voice getting louder.

"Look, I don't know why I went upstairs. I knew you would follow me. It was stupid, and I think we both know it was a one time thing. I am not the kind of girl who can handle meaningless hookups, and you are not the kind of guy who-" I stop myself, and sigh.

"You said it yourself, I want romance. I want the grand romantic gestures. You may think that makes me a child, but I am still that hopeless romantic who wants a love like Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy." As the words leave my mouth I remember the copy of Pride and Prejudice that sat on his bookshelf. He shifts uncomfortably, and opens his mouth to speak.

"Katherine, you can't just-" he begins, but he closes his mouth.

"It's fine Beau. Can we please just pretend it never happened? I am embarrassed enough. Thomas is taking me to dinner tonight, and I don't want this to mess things up." I say, with pleading in my voice. His face tightens, and I think he may yell at me again.

"Thomas?" he asks me, and I nod.

"He likes me." I say quietly. We stand in silence for a moment, but then he speaks.

"Enjoy your night then." With that, he is gone.

I am wearing the light pink dress that I had originally intended to wear the night before. I slide on my white flats, and dot a little concealer and powder on my face. I secure my hair in a ponytail, and put some gloss on my lips. I look more like the Katherine I was when I arrived in Florida, and not the girl who stepped into the party last night. I glance down at my phone and see that it is 6:20. I walk downstairs and find Shelly curled up on the couch nursing a glass of wine. Something is off with her today, but I don't have the energy to pry right now.

"I am heading out. I will be home later on." I say to her, and she looks up and smiles at me.

"You look beautiful, Thomas is a lucky guy." she says sweetly. I wave, and walk outside.

Thomas is already waiting for me in his driveway. He is standing outside of an SUV, and he opens the door for me.

"Thank you." I say, and smile at him. I look up and see Beau's face peering through a window, but he is not there long. Thomas closes the door, and then gets in on the drivers side. He turns up the radio just a bit, and then the car is in motion. He announces we are headed to his favorite Italian restaurant, and that I am going to fall in love with their garlic bread. He is charming, and polite. This is the first date of any girls dreams, and I know that I am lucky to be here with him. He opens every door, and slides my chair out for me. He rises from the table when I get up to run to the restroom, and always makes sure my drink is refilled when the waiter passes by. Thomas is a true gentleman, and it really is a nice night. We laugh with each other, and I love listening to his stories. I also love that he let me choose the dessert, and offered for me to take the last bite. When we arrive back to the condos he walks me to my front door, his hand clasped over mine.

"I had a nice time." he says sweetly, and I nod.

"Me too, thanks for taking me to dinner. You were right, that place is amazing." I respond. There is no tension with Thomas. There is no fear that I may say or do the wrong thing. I place my hand on the door knob, and he leans in to plant one single kiss on my lips. It is quick, but tender.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" he asks, and I nod before entering the house.