Chapter Thirty-one: The Person.

"He's what?!" I exclaimed.

"Yeah, Maia I don't have much information," she sighed.

"Why me?" I asked, full of confusion.

She eyed me, "Maia I really don't have any information. If you want to know more then come with me."

Why on Earth would I listen to her? She just kissed my boyfriend but...was she really doing an act of kindness. I was happy with him. Wasn't I?

"I-" I wanted to know... I really did. A part of me thought I might see the sins again. I looked at Joshua, who didn't even look at me. He was looking at Kindness, "okay."

Joshua's head snapped in my direction, "okay? No! Not okay! Why are you going?"

I glared at him, "you can't tell me what to do, Fletcher."

His eyes widened. I never called him by his second name unless I'm angry. Truth is, I am angry.

"Right, how do we get to Heaven?" I asked. Joshua kept his distance from me, which was a good idea because I really wanted to punch him in his face.

She fished around in her pocket and pulled two flasks with blue liquid in it, "drink up."

Drinking that liquid made my stomach churn. I felt my brain being pulled apart and rejoined together. Parts of my body began to burn. My heart beat quickened. The world around me dissolved into a bright white light. Nothing visible. I passed out due to the extreme exhaustion bring pressed against my soul.

***

I woke up with the distant sound of bird chirping in my ears. I looked around to see the familiar sight of Paradise. Was I dead? Wait no, that's stupid. I drank that weird blue glowy thing. My head was pounding as I sat up straight. I was lying on the grass outside. Joshua was a few feet away from me and Kindness was nowhere to be found.

The peaceful aura of Heaven had been replaced with the aura of worry. Angels and people were running around, frantically whispering to each other. I caught a few fragments of conversation from a couple nearby.

"Honey, it's okay. The leader of the Virtues is going to handle it," said the man.

"This isn't the first time Lucifer has initiated war on us," replied the woman.

I stood up and kicked Joshua in the arm, "wake up."

He groaned in fustration and plopped himself on his elbow, "are you going to stay angry at me for long?"

I glared at him once again, "maybe. I mean it's not like my boyfriend was kissing another girl."

"She kissed me! I didn't kiss her!"

"You didn't even stop her!" I hissed.

"You think I don't know about your thing for one of the sins? How do you expect me to live knowing that my girlfriend isn't happy with me and has a crush on someone else? I tried to make you happy Maia but I know I'll never be him! You'll always love him, not me. I've accepted that. I've always tried to make you happy, now it's my turn to be happy. I was happy with you, I really was. In fact I was more than happy but seeing the fact that you weren't happy, shattered me. I'm happy in being your best friend. Please, don't take my happiness away," his nose began to turn red. I could sense his sincerity.

"I-I never thought about that Joshua. I'm sorry for being so selfish," I bit my lip to stop me from crying.

"No Maia. Life was being selfish towards you. It took everything away from you. You had a right. It's fine," he smiled.

Tears fell from my eyes as I hugged him. I missed my best friend. I held him close, "you'll never lose me," I whispered to him. He didn't have to answer, his silence was a good enough answer.

"Let's find the virtues," he suggested.

***

Walking into the familiar castle, we began our search for the virtues. We finally found them in the left wing. The left wing is forbidden for people to enter, only angels and the people who work with them. They all sat around the table, with papers spread everywhere. They all were focused on their own papers. I cleared my throat and they all looked at me.

"Great! You're here! Sit down, sit down!" Charity squeaked.

"Why am I here?" I asked, "why me of all people?"

Everyone exchanged looks and Charity nudged Temperance, signalling her to do the talking. She glared at her sisters then smiled at me. It wasn't a happy smile or an uneasy smile, it was a smile of pity. Why did she feel pity for me?

"Maia, I want you to listen to me and promise me something. When the person we want you to meet comes, listen to the instructions given. Don't cut them off, don't say anything. Just listen. Can you promise me that?" She asked.

"I-I promise," I croaked.

"Okay, go call her," Temperance instructed. Kindness immediately got up and left the room. I began to feel anxiety while waiting for this mysterious person walk in. My heart was pounding once again as I saw the door knob turn. I felt like vomiting and I was shaking like crazy.

The person walked in with Kindness trailing right behind them. Joshua gasped and my heart plummeted. All I could say was, "Mom?!"

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Authors Note:
Surprise! Maia's mom has just came into the story! Do you think this is real? Or was it a dream? I'm really excited for the next chapter so I think I'm going to start it right now.
Again with the cliffhanger! I know I'm horrible but it's so much fun!

Question: what do you think is going you happen next?

Lxrxib