Chapter 12: Cookies for the Neighbor

Later that day, Mira and I played tag, hide and seek, and other very fun games! During dinner, I went home and waited till Mom came home, which was a few minutes after.

"Mom! You're home! Welcome back!" I would cry out. No matter what has happened during the day, I would always remember to greet her with the biggest smile a third grader could ever provide.

She returns the smile, and would proceed to ask me what I would want for dinner. However, instead of asking me tonight, she says, "Takagi, tonight we're going to make cookies, for our new neighbor! In order to do that, we must have a quick dinner tonight so that we can finish the cookies hopefully before 8 o'clock."

I take a glance at the grandfather clock, it was 5, so about 3 hours. I nodded. I was excited. So we had cup noodle, shrimp flavor. It was still just as good. I helped clean up the table, as Mom started setting up the ingredients and mixer.

As I carried the empty cups still with leftover soup to the trash can, I asked Mom, "Mom, what flavor cookies are we making?" I tipi toed and looked over towards the counter. There was a lingering scent of something fresh and sweet! Strawberries!!!

"Ohh?! Mom, are we making...strawberry cookies?!"

I started to dance around and clap my hands, Mom saw my reaction and laughs. I love it when Mom laughs. It was one of my favorite sounds of the world. She makes a gesture and I come over to her. She starts instructing me how to make the dough. Her voice sounds so calm, and soothing. I love it when Mom speaks. I also love the sound of her voice as well. Everything about Mom is amazing. I loved her.

Through all the hard work, we finally finished making the cookies at 7:45 sharp. Ding! And I quickly wake Mom up from her nap through the baking. I watched as she opens the oven and smoke emits out. The fragrance. The warm smell of cookies, the sugary, sweet, light dough. And last but not least, the strawberries. They all come together like a whole! Like all the love and care was put carefully throughout the whole process of producing those cookies.

I sniffed, and then licked my lips playfully. "Mom, do you think the neighbors will like our cookies?" I tilt my head, eyes gazing at the careful hands that packed the hot cookies that came out from the oven. I heard a slight giggle.

"Of course they will Takagi dear. After all, we both worked hard to make these delicious cookies!" I looked at the pan, and really wanted to try one. I made a weak gesture, asking if I could try one of these sweets. Mom nodded and watched as I took a small bite into the soft dough.

The taste was spectacular. I loved it, and made a squealing sound. Mom heard it and grinned. I made her try one too, and we both loved the results of our persistence.

"Wear your jacket Takagi, you don't want to catch a cold!" I yelled back a response, and wore a big fluffy white jacket. I wonder who our neighbors are, and what they are like! I hope they have a kid that I can play with along with Mira!

"Takagi!"
"Coming!"

We both walked out the door, one hand is holding my mom's hand, and the bag of cookies in the other. It was not long until we saw a house that is just as big as ours. The yard doesn't look as clean, but it's probably because they just moved in.

Ding dong~ The doorbell rings and echos inside the house. I'm suddenly nervous, what if they neighbors are tired, and they don't want anyone bothering them? What if they are sleeping right now? What if they are having din—

"Oh! Well, who is this?" I was surprised and pulled out of my imagination as a gentle voice that belonged to a woman that looked like Mom.

Mom greeted the woman, and pulled me close. "Greetings, I'm Hisako Takagi, and this is my daughter. We heard that we will have a new neighbor, so we made these cookies for you and your family." I awkwardly smile and wave. To my surprise, the woman smiles back.

"Good evenings Takagi-San, and your daughter. Thank you so so so much for these cookies. You are so thoughtful! Your daughter looks so pretty!" I blush. I have never been called pretty by a stranger before.

"I also have a son, he's around the age of your daughter as well! I shall call him here, maybe they might meet at school!"
And she calls the name of the boy. The name that I will also call often in the future before me.

*author's note: heyy everyone! Thanks to those readers that stuck with me all this time! I appreciate you all very much!o(v)o Anyways, if anyone does know, does Takagi have a full name, if you know the name, or just have any suggestions for her name, please comment or dm!!!*