Chapter 44: Upcoming Finals

"Everyone make sure to study for the upcoming finals! And don't forget to do tonight's homework which is

"Everyone make sure to study for the upcoming finals! And don't forget to do tonight's homework which is...." the reminders coming from all teachers across the campus started to drill into Nishikata's mind.

Another school year is about to end, meaning that Nishikata will have survived his freshman year of high school without getting into any serious trouble whatsoever. The class bell struck and students squirmed their ways to their next classes, some were waiting by the lockers, some talking to their friends.

Nishikata thought about the incident that occurred a few weeks ago, when he got confessed to. He was surprised that Takagi-San didn't ask him anything about it, but he supposed that it would be for the best that she didn't, so that she couldn't tease him. Mira, on the other hand, bombarded Nishikata with questions like 'hey did you know her?' 'did you reject her because you like someone already?' 'ohh c'mon I'm so jealous!'

He quickly shook that thought away, and went on to his next class, which is the same as Takagi's.

Pushing open the door, he walked over to his usual seat, next to Takagi, "Hey, Takagi-San."

She smiled and waved at him.

With a cheesy smile, he said, "Uhh, finals are coming up soon huh? Time sure flies, doesn't it?"

"Sure does," Takagi replied.

Oh my gosh, why am I trying to make small talk with her? It makes me look so stupid! But uhm, what should I say? There's still a bit of time left before the teacher will get here, so it can't just stay awkward... I want to talk to her. His mind races for conversation topics.

"Nishikata, why do you look so awkward? Haha, are you okay?" Takagi leans over and taps his shoulder.

"O-oh! I have no idea what you are talking about? Awkward, me? Ha, I would never," he just blabbered out, avoiding her stare.

Takagi giggles, the sweet melody that Nishikata would always hear and wouldn't forget, so the boy rests his head on his desk, arms covering his flaring red face.

Outside the windows, the sky was still, with clouds shaping and filling the spring air. Dogs at the park played happily with their owners, children running and chasing. Little yellow ducks swimming, following their mother along the lakes. Spring blossoms emerge, leaving delicate pink petals that sweep the paved roads. The beautiful city was filled with the clear, damp atmosphere.

Nishikata practically runs out of the classroom once the last bell rang. School was finally over, and he could enjoy the rest of his day on his games at home, in bed. The thought of that fulfills him with content, he spreads out his arms, stretching, when another soft hand squeezes him. He jumps and turn, to see Takagi-San grinning.

"Yo, that excited for school to end?"

"Of course, Takagi-San! Classes are so boring," He starts trotting down the street.

"But shouldn't you be a bit mindful about the upcoming finals?" she follows him, "even though we don't have as much tests as Ishikami-kun and the other upperclassmen, it's important to pass."

The mention of Ishikami's name stops Nishikata, he had this unpleasant feeling churning in his stomach. He didn't like that she called him with such familiarity.

"I guess so, " he replies.

She chuckles, "hey remember that one time in middle school where we studied for tests at the library?"

Nishikata nods, remembering the moments they had together that day.

"Wanna do that again? Study at the library together?" Her voice was a bit different—timid and not as confident.

Nishikata's pupils dilated, and his heart suddenly bumped faster. Is this what being asked to go somewhere with your crush feels like?

"Uhm, if you'd rather not, then that's fin—"

"Let's go! This Friday is okay with you?" Nishikata said, voice slightly trembling.

Takagi smiled, and there seemed to be a glow in her deep brown eyes, "alrighty then!"