Halloween Special-chapter 3

Nishikata stood in front of Takagi's house, tapping his boots on the ground at a paced rhythm, waiting

Nishikata stood in front of Takagi's house, tapping his boots on the ground at a paced rhythm, waiting. He decided that she probably was getting ready, so he casually took out his phone, and played games on it.

Ten minutes have passed, and there was no sign of the door opening. Nishikata glanced at the phone, wondering if he got the time wrong. Unsure, he tried calling Ishikami, double-checking the time.

"Hey, Ishikami."

"Oh Nishikata, what's wrong?"

"What time did the girls say we were going trick or treating?"

"Uhm, around now I guess, do you not see them?"

"No?"

"Well, you gotta find them, they might have left already. If you really can't find them, you can always stop by my place and help me set up the party."

Nishikata mutters thanks and hung up. He hesitates of whether he should've called Mira or Takagi, but he was too chicken. So when he turned around to leave, he was greeted with a witch and a devil facing him, yelling. Nishikata shouts, due to the sudden scare. The dark sky was hiding the faces of the cosplayers, but the slight line of moonlight shines on the rest of the body. Nishikata squints to try and recognize the people that scared him, but immediately knew after the familiar laughter rung in the glimpse of the moon-lit dusk.

"Did we scare him?" A high pitched voice says.

"Bet!"

"Takagi-san, and Mira! Where were you guys?" asked Nishikata.

"I went to pick up Mira, but on the way we encountered a super adorable cat, so we got distracted for a moment. Sorry for the wait. Were you waiting for a long time?" Takagi grins, which soon after caused Nishikata to splutter an answer that was along the lines of 'course not, I just got here too.'

Mira comes out from the shadows, and puts her arm around Nishikata's shoulders,

"So guys, are we gonna go and trick or treat or what?" She pulls Takagi over and hung her other arm around Takagi's shoulders, "Let the adventure begin!"

"Sometimes I wonder how you are actually in 9th grade," commented Takagi, snickering.

Mira flashes Takagi a sly smile.

The trio went along to each door of the neighborhood, greeting them with warm addresses followed by chanting 'trick or treat!' The 'children' would receive happy smiles and a handful of sweet treats. Mira led the group, running from one house to another. Takagi followed, along with Nishikata, still wondering why and when he had agreed to this.

"And here! We have finished! It's time to go to the after-party at Ishikami-kun's house!" Mira exclaimed with excitement tingling in her voice.

Takagi eagerly nods, and Nishikata gave them a cheesy smile, which the girls laughed at.

Ding dong! Ding dong!

"Now, who could it possibly be at this hour on this day?" The door creaks open slowly, revealing a normal teenage boy in a hoodie and sweats.

"We've finished trick or treating, now, tell me you still have food left for us, cause we're all hungry!" Mira jumps inside after she took off her shoes. Takagi did so as well, saying hellos to everyone in the room and introduces herself to Ishikami's other classmates.

Nishikata took a few seconds to acknowledge the amazingly decorated house. So-called webs and spiders clambered the walls, orange, purple, and black banners hung on one side, and carefully carved pumpkins lay on the sides of the front door. Though it was supposed to give off an unnerving reaction, the decorations made the house felt festive and full of spirits.

He didn't know he was just glancing around the house for so long until a tiny tap on the shoulder brought him back to reality.

"Nishikata, you gonna come in?" Takashi cocks her head, meeting his eyes.

"O-oh! Yeah..."

He takes off his boots and walked inside the house.

"It's very pretty, isn't it?"

"Yeah." I'm talking to Takagi-san alone again. He kept a note of that to himself.

"I like your costume, looks nice on you."

Whattt? Did she compliment me? Nah, she probably did that to get a reaction out of me, it's just to tease me, just a joke--

"Hello? Earth to Nishikata?" She makes a waving motion with her hands.

"Huh? Yeah... Thanks." say something nice back, Nishikata! come on you can say it! His thoughts were clashing with each other, one suggesting to compliment Takagi, and one to just not say anything.

"Takagi-san?"

"Hm?"

"Your costume...looks great on you as well."

He quickly gave her a small smile, and walked away to get himself together after saying that. Too bad he left, because he didn't notice the sudden flush of red rising to somebody's cheeks. Mira walked over, smirks, and whispers into that person's ear, "Nice job, Takagi-san."