Chapter 38: Rooftop Confession

There was a swirl of wind, sweeping the leaves and turning it into a mini tornado

There was a swirl of wind, sweeping the leaves and turning it into a mini tornado. The scene seemed familiar, yet so strange. A buzz in the crispy fall air, the smell of young love lingered, such a cliché storyline.

A boy, not too young, tall but had a baby face. His dark ashy hair and his nervous fingers, took a deep breath. The brown haired girl stood waiting patiently, calmly, as if she already knew what was about to come her way.

"Takagi-San, I like you!"

Like an audience in the background, Nishikata had to clasp his hand over his mouth to cover his surprise. This was the classic rooftop confession! Like in 100% Unrequited Love!  His face instantly flushed shades of pink. Nishikata peeked in a little closer, feeling a cinch of guilt for eavesdropping on such a special moment for this freshman boy.

"Ryu-kun, I'm...sorry. I do not feel the same for you." She avoided the boy's glance, looking down.

"Then," the boy's pitiful expression of being rejected was painful to watch, "is there someone else that you like already? Is that why?"

As much as Nishikata knew he shouldn't keep on listening to this, his body refused to move, and his fanboying heart begs him to stay. This was really the Takagi-San he knew. He couldn't believe this.

Soon after a moment of hesitation, Takagi nodded. "Yes, I already like someone else. Sorry."

ba-dum* ba-dum

No no no no no, why is my heart bumping so fast? What is this feeling of relief? All the questions he asked himself as his heart races more and he could not take it any longer. Nishikata knew, he had to get out of there before he was exposed.

He stood up quickly, brushed off the dust on his knees, then headed down the stairs like a rabbit racing against time. The rooftop scene was too much to take in.

After he left, Takagi smirks, then whispers, "Looks like someone was interested in this... in the end, you'll know soon the truth, my dear boy."

"Huh?"

The two classmates awkwardly stood. Takagi didn't want to spoil the fact that somebody was listening in to this confession and rejection scene, so she just smiled lightly, "Nothing, it's just... never mind."

"So, who's this lucky boy?" Ryu questioned, looking out into the crack of dawn.

"He's...a friend. Dense, sometimes kinda clumsy. However, he's super kind and caring, he's so adorable..." was all she said, before slowly walking away and down the stairs.

"Could it be..." Ryu mumbled, but didn't bother to tell her, since it's her secret, "I won't tell."

Behind the back of Takagi, she held sadness in her eyes, "Ah, when will you realize... I wish you'd figure it out soon," quickly she shook the grief away, then encouraged herself, "whatever, I'm sure he will."

Back inside the hallways, Nishikata walked with his head hung low, murmuring about what he had just witnessed, a friend being confessed, then rejecting someone. When he thought about it carefully, he realized that this seemed familiar somehow, that he had heard it before. But from where...?

"Whoops-"

He bumped into someone, "Sorry."

Nishikata was about to scurry away, when the cold voice called, "Wait, Nishikata? What are you doing at such a time?"

The boy turned around, facing the one and only, student council President Karima.