Chapter 21: You Used to be Good at this

So, any ideas?" Mira questions Takagi and Nishikata as they lie on the floor of Mira's house

•••

"I guess we'll do the planning at my house! Cmon Nishikata!" Mira and Takagi are trying to persuade Nishikata to come. However, Nishikata doesn't really want to go. Visiting a friend's house is one thing, but visiting a girl's house, along with another girl is different! Even if Takagi's one of Nishikata's close friends...

"Nishikata, could it be that...you'd rather go to my house is it?" Takagi bends over, and smirking.

"No-! I mean, not that I don't want to go.....but..." Nishikata was going to say going to a girls house was going to be awkward for him. And that he'll feel uncomfortable.

"Aw...then why wouldn't you go? It's for school." Mira chimes in. Great, now the both of them are teasing me. Nishikata looks at Mira, who was doing her puppy eyes, then to Takagi, who had the same teasing expression sincerely middle school.

A few moments later, Nishikata finally gives in.

"Fine, fine, I'll go."

•••

"Y'know, this kind of reminds me of childhood, right Takagi-Chan?" Mira suddenly questions Takagi, who only nods in response, cold and slightly distant.

"Uhm...how about spring days, or cherry blossoms? As a theme, I mean." Nishikata couldn't stand the awkwardness anymore, so he just blabbered some random ideas he had.

"Great! Lemme list that down."

"I was thinking we could do something related to the festivals, or maybe Paris at night?" Takagi suggests.

"Oh! Oh! I have one! Some color theme, or ancient times? Then, we could wear our traditional dresses!" Mira excitedly writes it down on her notebook.

They continued listing out ideas.

After a few minutes, Mira decides to get drinks for her guests.

"What kind of drink do you want guys?"

"I'd like orange soda, if there is any." Nishikata asks.

"How about you, Takagi-Chan?"

"I'll take the same."

They spent the rest of the afternoon doing homework and finishing up their own projects for school. Soon after, it was time for dinner, and Nishikata and Takagi need to get home.

"Then, I'll see you guys tomorrow!" Mira waves farewell to us, as we walked down the path.

"Nishikata....remember in middle school, you would bet to see who could throw the cans in the trash can?" Takagi points to a nearby trash can with empty soda cans around it.

"Yeah...." Nishikata murmured, not wanting to remember the fact that he lost to her....in a embarrassing way.

"Wanna have another go?" Takagi starts picking up the cans, handing one to Nishikata.

Nishikata hesitates, he doesn't really want to lose again, especially in high school. Middle school was a time where Takagi was playing with him, teasing him, making him feel embarrassed, and way more....

"Come on Nishikata! It's not because....you're afraid you'll lose to me again right?" She smirks, making a move to persuade him.

"No! Of course not! It's just....so childish to be doing this when we're in high school...yeah. It's childish!" Nishikata sighs in relief to be able to come up with a reasonable reason.

Takagi frowns, and starts throwing the cans into the trash can, one by one. Perfectly shooting it into the can. After, she starts walking.

Somehow, a pierce of guilt shocked Nishikata, his urge to apologize for....for what? Why do I feel bad? I-mean, I just, didn't want to lose, not because I didn't want to play with her.

"Wait!" His own voice surprised him, it had the effect of stopping Takagi, making her turn around at the sound of Nishikata's call.

"Yes?"

"Takagi-San, uhm, I was thinking, if you want to play, we can have a round...or two. It wouldn't be bad." Nishikata stutters, causing Takagi to giggle.

"Sure!" Takagi walks around and picks up two of the empty cans next to the garbage can, and hands one to Nishikata.

"Same rule, loser has to do what the winner wants?" Takagi turns her head, and smiles.

Nishikata gulped, and nodded. He saw what Takagi did earlier, however, he is still confident, since he did...practice shooting basketballs in the summer before freshmen.

"Then! I'll go first!" Takagi walks farther, aims, then......shoots! And it goes in!!!

"Yes!" Takagi laughs and pushes Nishikata to the starting point.

"Now, your turn, Nishikata!"

Nishikata holds the can in his palm, which is sweating from the nervousness. He takes deep breaths, which causes Takagi to giggle.

He aims, then shoots. Nishikata prays to the gods to make it in. Not only does he not want to lose, he also doesn't want to lose face and embarrass himself in front of her again.

Thankfully, it makes it in. A gasp coming from Takagi.

"Woah, Nishikata, you've really gotten better. Have you practiced?"

"Of course I did- not! I didn't, why would I practice for something like this?" Nishikata's face goes hot, worrying that Takagi would think he would do something that stupid.

"Oh? But I thought you practiced basketball in the summer? Your mom told me." Takagi starts coming closer, which makes Nishikata's heart beat faster and faster.

"I...do."

"Then won't that count as practicing? Haha, Nishikata, why'd you lie?"

"I..."

There was a few moments of silence, making Nishikata feel uncomfortable.

"Takagi-San, since we both made it, none of us...is a winner right?" Nishikata asks.

"Of course! Unless...you want us both to be a winner? Then, we both have to do something that the other wants." Takagi says with a smudge look.

"No! I don't."

"Alright then..."

Soon, they walked back to Takagi's house, Nishikata waves to her, and before she went inside, she suddenly says,

"You used to be very good at throwing cans too you know?"

And with that, she closed her door, causing Nishikata to rethink the times he had played with her.

Weird....I don't recall ever...winning her in can throwing.

*ayee author here, here we see Takagi revealing the fact that Nishikata used to be good at throwing cans. But...where? Anyways, leave suggestions of what theme the prom should be! Don't forget to like, vote and share! Thank you for reading!*