Chapter 13: The Start of a New Friendship

"Yuuji! Our neighbors came to greet us! Come out and say hi!"

A few seconds later I saw a boy, slightly taller than me, with big brown eyes that were gentle. Dark black hair that has wisps of brown on the tip of the hair. It looked so soft that I wanted to feel it. But I know it wouldn't be nice. He was wearing jeans and a T-shirt, casual and simple.

However, he looked a little annoyed, of course, I thought. He must have been tired to be moving in and out. I wave at him, and looked nervously at him. It was my first time being so close to a boy.

"Hello. I'm Yuuji Ishikami. Nice to meet you." And he waves back to me and Mom. In his hand was a notebook, and a pencil. Was he doing something?

"Well hello there...Yuuji, my daughter Takagi and I made some strawberry cookies for you and your family. Please enjoy them!" She looks at me, and then nods at the boy's mother. Mom's hand nudges me from the back. A sign for me to introduce myself.

I cleared my throat, and then put on the friendliest smile I could, and said, "uhm, hi there...Ishikami-kun. I'm Reiri Takagi, pleasure to meet you. I hope we can be great friends!"

I reach my hand out for a handshake, but instead of taking it and shaking it, he looks at the hand, and gives me a very uncomfortable look. As if he's never done a handshake before. His mother looks at him, and gestures him to take it. He reluctantly extends his hand and shakes mines.

It was awkward, somehow, I'm now sitting in their living room, with Ishikami-kun writing in his notebook. Our moms were in the kitchen talking, and his dad was organizing the house.

"Uhm," I wanted this awkwardness and silence to end. So I attempted to start a conversation. He looks up, and surprises me.

"What?"
"Do you wanna....talk about something?" I start fidgeting with my hands, and wished that Mira was here.
Silence
At this point I didn't know what to do. I pretended like I never asked a question, and continues to go on gazing outside through the window.

5 minutes later he closes his notebook, and taps me on the shoulder. I almost fell down from my posture. I had no idea he would do that. My eyes widen, and slowly looked back at the boy.

"Sorry for frightening you, but I wanted to ask, what grade are you in?" He scratches his neck, and avoids my glance.

"3rd grade, how about you?" I simply answered, and asking back a question. Just to keep this conversation still going.

"5th. I guess I'm older...." I thought I saw disappointment, but he quickly stood up.
"Takagi..can I call you that? I guess I'm going to the same school as you next week..."
I smile. And tilt my head, "Yeah...hey, wanna walk with me and my best friend Mira to school next week? It'll be fun!"

He shrugs, and then later grumbles a reply. "Sure, just don't make me late. I'll ask Mother."

Later he shows me his notebook, it was filled with words and pictures and drawings.
"Wohh! Ishikami-kun, did you write and draw all this? So cool!" I admire the handwriting and pictures. For the first time, he shows a tiny smile. So tiny you wouldn't be able to spot it if you blinked at that moment.

After showing me, he flips to a blank page, and hands me the pencil. "Write down your name."
I hesitantly take the pencil and wrote my name in such messy handwriting I almost felt embarrassed to show.

Reiri Takagi

I somehow found the courage to explain my name, for Mom would always tell me when I asked. " My name means lovely bell, and tall evergreen. Mom wished that I grow up to be a beautiful and smart young lady, shining and ringing with laughter like a bell does. I will stand tall and confident, without losing elegance like evergreens! I super super hope that I will be like that when I grow up!" I let out a laugh, and beamed.

"...wow. Such detailed explanation. I guess I have to do it as well, don't I?" He picks up the notebook and takes the pencil. He writes his name on the line below my name,

Yuuji Ishikami

"You don't have to..." I whispered under my breath, but he already started talking.
"Uh, my name doesn't have any detailed and specific meaning. But I do recall Mother telling me that my name means clever, brave, and then...hope for me to be healthy and let the gods bless me...uh, that was long and...kind of weird,"

I was about to assure him that it was great, but Mom's hand touched my hand and her voice tells me that it is time to leave. I wave goodbye to Ishikami-kun, and seeing that I didn't get a wave back, I frowned.

At the door, I looked at the boy that was scribbling in his notebook, and said goodbye to his mom. When I was on the streets, from the window I saw words. It was Ishikami's notebook!

Let's talk and play more, it was nice hanging out with you today. Thank you for the cookies.

I couldn't help but giggle, so...that's what he was doing. I breathed in the cool night air, it tasted like the start of a new friendship.

*im trying out something new for the title picture :D inspiration from @luvthatcrown ! I hope you guys like the name I gave! There was great recommendations and I used a name that describes takagi's personality.*