Chapter 22: That Smile

The next day after school, Nishikata, Takagi, and Mira hands in their ideas to the school council president

"Mmm...not bad...thank you for these ideas. The student council will discuss this in our meeting later. You may leave." The cold voice replies, showing a hint of pleasure in her face.

"No problem at all! Thank you for letting us assist you in the freshmen prom!" Takagi bows and the three of them left,

•••
At the meeting

"So, President Karima, what do you think?" The humble treasurer Kai asks, with his eyes looking at her.

Karima thinks, then states in a strong voice with power, "I think, in order to make this prom successful, since this is our first year doing this for our freshmen, that we need to use our budget wisely. Because this is not the only prom that will happen in this year. Additionally, if we do happen to do this theme, we would need assistance in setting the room up."

"I agree."

"Yeah..."

"President Karima! I have an idea, may I share?" Ishikami stands up, and with Karima's nod of approval, he continues.

"I think President Karima is very correct. Our budget won't increase for us, so we do need to consider carefully. However, I have a proposal. If we are able to hold a fundraiser, that allows our students to donate, this might help with our budget problem...also..."

Ishikami looks up at the president, watching her reaction. When he saw no sign of disapproval or rejection of his idea, he explained his solution further.

"This fundraiser, is a little cliché, but what if we use something like, cards related to the theme, to help our freshmen ask someone to go to prom with them? It benefits our budget, and raises awareness and participation in the prom! How about that President Karima?"

There was silence for a few seconds as the whole student council waits for the president to reply.

"Wow. Vice-President Ishikami...." She makes a tapping sound with her nails as she considers.

A small grin.

"I guess, if no one has any rejections, we shall proceed with Ishikami's idea to sell these...cards for prom."

Everyone looked around, then back at President Karima.

"Very well. This freshmen prom with the theme of cosmic, space, will happen in a few weeks."

"And that concludes our meeting."

•••
"Nishkata! What theme do you think will they choose?" Mira taps Nishikata on the shoulder, as they walk down the cooridors.

"I don't know..."

"Well, I hope they choose something cool! Something romantic! Something like, the masquerade ball or...Alice in wonderland! What about you Takagi?" Mira's ringing voice with energy can't help but also bring excitement to Takagi.

"Let's see! Something that brings back child nostalgia, something everyone can look back to in the future and be like...wow, remember freshmen prom? Something like that." Takagi giggles at her answer, not knowing what else to expect. After all, it was going to be her first prom.

Together, they walked out of the high school entrance, and as they were about to cross the streets, they heard Ishikami call out to them.

"Takagi! Mira! Nishikata, wait!" He ran towards them, gasping.

"What is it Ishikami-kun?" Takagi asks, stopping Nishikata from crossing.

"So the student council meeting just ended, and we're planning to do a fundraiser. Do you want to help? I requested permission from our president, and she didnt mind! So you guys up for it?"

Mira jumps in glee and almost screams.

"YES YES YES! LET'S HELP!" She smiles at Takagi and Nishikata, who politely nods.

"Sure, let's help, right Nishikata?" Takagi elbows him, causing him to make a face.

"Wonderful! So, this time, during lunch period, you can come in the student council room and discuss the details with me and President Karima." Ishikami smiles, and turns.

"Well, I gotta run other errands, so bye now!"

He ran towards the school, and a second later before Takagi and Nishikata turned back, Nishikata noticed that Ishikami smiled at Takagi, before going inside the school.

Nishikata's eyes glanced at Takagi, who only waves back.

What was...that smile...?

And what kind of reaction was that?

Before he knew it, Takagi and Mira were across the street, calling out to Nishikata.

"Nishikata! Come on, what are you doing? Thinking of someone?" Takagi teases.

Nishikata felt his face go red, "N-no!"

And he ran to catch up with the laughing girls.