Chapter 29: Clearing the Mind

"Uhm, are you alright?" Nishikata quietly asked, not sure if that girl is Takagi or another girl, since the only thing illuminating the area is the full moon

That girl looks up, and Nishikata squints. The only thing he could see was her dark brown hair covering her face, which seems to give off a sad vibe.

"Oh, it's you."

And immediately Nishikata recognized that voice. It really is Takagi-San! He shifted his body and glimpsed around, now not knowing what to do in a situation like this. What on earth happened when I went to the restroom? He wondered.

"Yeah...What happened Takagi-San?"

Takagi hesitated before she responds. "It's...about Mira and Ishikami, and me."

She waited for his reaction, and when she received none, she continues, "We were...very close friends since childhood, and we spent our youth together. Until one day..." Takashi takes a deep breath and flashes a sad smile.

Nishikata just sat there and listened to Takagi confess her problems, which she rarely does.

"I found out that Mira liked Ishikami, and what's worse..."

Nishikata couldn't believe the next thing that happened. Two clear streams of tears ran down her cheeks,  Takagi felt a tightening of her throat.

"I was there to witness her confession, and how...she got rejected. What's even worse? Ishikami, he told her, that he liked...me." Takagi's vision was blurry. Nishikata panicked and pulled out a handkerchief.

Takagi glanced at Nishikata. Giving a thankful look, she takes the offer, wiping the tears off of her red cheeks.

Afterward, she explains everything that occurred at prom when he wasn't present. With every few minutes she would stop and catch her breath and calm herself down. But Nishikata didn't mind, he listened with thought, and took every word inside. When she was finished, she sighed.

"Nishikata, " she starts, hands fumbling with the hankie.

Nishikata slowly looks up, and locked eyes with Takagi. His heart starts to race, and every second seemed like hours.

ba bump* ba bump* ba bump

"Thanks for listening to me today, I'm sorry you had to see me like this. Usually, I'm teasing you and all, so it must have been pretty weird for you to hear me talk like this. So, thanks Nishikata. I really appreciate it." A pleased smile on her lips and her eyes held a glint of hope.

"U-uh, no problem Takagi-San! Sure it might be unfamiliar to see you like this, but it's great that you showed me another side of you, it makes me understand you more! " Nishikata gives a cheesy smile and that caused Takagi to burst into a giggle.

"Mhm..."

"Do you wanna go back inside?" Nishikata offered, standing up.

"Yeah, I think I should go clear things up tonight."

During the walk back, Takagi somehow made Nishikata and her hold hands, and when they did, Nishikata was flustered, but he didn't complain.

Nishikata, Takagi's mind raced. You idiot, till now you still don't realize it was me that day. But I guess you don't, since it was small matters, and so long ago...thanks for making me smile that day. And still doing so today.

A shade of pink appeared on Takagi's cheeks, but no one else would have noticed since it was only the bright moonlight that shone on the two of them as they strolled back to the gymnasium.