Chapter 43: Realization

Takagi stood on the side, astounded by what she heard

Takagi stood on the side, astounded by what she heard. This girl had barely talked to Nishikata in the past, and yet already she was able to confess her feelings so quickly without fear of rejection. Such a brave girl, muttered Takagi. Quickly she shakes her head out of the thoughts and focused on what came next— the reply.

On the other hand, Nishikata was speechless, "I...uhhh..."

How...do you reject a person,was all that came about his head. Wait, why do I have to reject her? She's pretty cute, and seems nice, but...there should be something else that's stopping me from saying yes. His head spins for an answer, but it was blank as a paper.

Instead of waiting for an answer, Ruri pipes up, "I know...we haven't talked a lot in middle school, barely, if I had to be frank. However," She clasps her hand on her chest, "since the day you came to school, it gets harder to not notice you with your tricks in the back of the class. Your interruptions during sensei's classes always make me crack up, though I don't know why," She giggles.

The crowd settles down, then some slowly backed out to class, whispering to those who have free period to record this. Takagi decides to stay a bit longer, since she wanted to see the results, and, her classroom isn't that far ahead.

Nishikata couldn't believe this, the more she's saying, the harder it will be when he rejects her...but he still can't find out why he won't accept her.

"Nishikata-kun, you're the most amazing and funny boy I've ever met. Your kindness never ceases to surprise me. Even today, you standing up to those delinquents..." her cheeks began glowing pink, "I couldn't resist these feelings bottled up in my heart any longer. I like you! Please, will you go out with me?"

Finally, Ruri stopped talking, looking up shyly at the boy.

Taking a big breath, Nishikata bit his bottom lip, feeling the surge of guilt piercing through his body, "I'm sorry, Ruri."

The small crowd gasped, then quickly shot back their attention at the girl, who looked as if she was shot by an arrow through the heart.

Takagi, especially, was taken aback by this response. She wasn't surprised, but was shocked by this at the same time. Deciding that she shouldn't be seen, she walked back to her classroom, a faint curve escaping her face.

The bell rang, and Nishikata almost jumped. He quickly mouthed, "I'm so sorry, Ruri, you're an amazing person and all, but..."

Ruri's green sparkling eyes glittered with tears, she wiped them quickly, then put on a smile, "it's okay, you just don't have feelings for me. Sorry for bothering you and making you late to class."

She was about to walk away, when she stopped by Nishikata's shoulder and whispered in his ears, "You like Takagi-San, right? That's why, you rejected me."

After leaving those words, Nishikata couldn't process what she meant, until a few seconds later, when she disappeared into the classrooms.

The students around him glared at Nishikata curiously, then stopped recording and continued the rest of their days. Nishikata didn't rush to class, but spent his time thinking about what Ruri said. It seemed familiar too—

"You like her, don't cha?" The words rung in his head like a school bell. Then it came to him. It couldn't be true...could it? The question had an answer, for sure. In the back of Nishikata's mind he knew, but didn't want to acknowledge and accept it. Pieces of clues start forming together, it all makes sense now. At least to Nishikata. The unpleasant feeling churning in his body this morning, the butterflies in his stomach during some moments, the laughters he heard from her, the happiness he felt when he was around her, they were all because of no one other than Takagi-San.

That's right, the dense boy has finally came to his right state of mind. It was at this moment he realized something that seemed so clear to him, so right when he walked up to his classroom door, he mindlessly whispered, "I do like Takagi."

A/N
And this concludes the realization arc in this story! hope you enjoyed it, and next chapter will be out in 2 weeks, since im planning on the ending arc and the rest of the storyline. thank you for reading this story! i hope you all will have a wonderful day/night!☺️