Chapter 31: Friends Forever

Mira motions Takagi to come over, and Takagi, with an alarmed face, slightly nodded

Mira motions Takagi to come over, and Takagi, with an alarmed face, slightly nodded. Nishikata glances over at Ishikami, who gives him a smirk.

"Takagi, " Mira started, playing with her fingers.

"Mira,"

Then, two voices filled with remorse and guilt were heard. The words, "I'm sorry."

The two girls both looked up and quickly, tears formed in Mira's eyes. She blinks them away, and takes Takagi's hand.

Meanwhile, Ishikami walked over to Nishikata, briefly filled in what happened when he was gone. They both decided it was best that they deal with this on their own, so they went to another side of the room to chill and talk.

"Takagi-chan, you...don't deserve to say sorry. You did absolutely nothing wrong. It was all me-"

"Mira..."

"No, let me explain. I was stubborn, and...because of that, I...blamed you for everything that happened with Ishikami-kun. I shouldn't have done that." Mira stops. Then, looking Into Takagi's eyes, she bites her lips. "It's my fault, I shouldn't have yelled at you, I shouldn't keep going after him...and even if I do, it's not your fault when I get rejected. I was stupid, I still am, and...I got jealous."

Takagi pats Mira's head, giving an encouraging smile. She assured her, "Mira, it's okay. It's okay to feel this way. And...I partly understand why you would feel like this. It's my fault for advising Ishikami to accept your promposal. I thought that would make you feel better..."

"I know...and I forgive you, Takagi. But, it'd be nice if you also accept my apology. It would suck, y' know, if our friendship..."

Takagi resists a laugh and gave Mira a broad smile. "What on earth are you talking about? Of course, I forgive you. And don't you worry, I'm definitely going to continue being your very best friend till the end of the earth. Like you said before, we're gonna be friends forever, right?"

At this point, Mira covered her mouth in awe while the tears of hers come streaming down her blushy cheeks. "R-really?" she whispers.

With a nod, Takagi reaches out to Mira and wraps her arms around the crying girl. "Yes, really." Mira notices the warmth in her best friend's arms, and squeezes her back.

They stay like this for a while, and when they break apart, Mira wipes her tears, with pink cheeks and smeared makeup. Takagi takes Mira to the bathroom, deciding that she needs to fix her makeup if she wants to impress boys.

"Cmon now Mira, let's go to the restroom and get your makeup fixed. You don't want to be on the front cover of Monday, don't you? Plus, don't you want to show off your beauty to everyone?" Takagi teased as they went inside.

"How'd you know?" Mira fakes a gasping sound, causing the two friends to burst into laughter.

***

When they came out, the two boys were waiting for them at the punch bar.

"See, Takagi-chan?" Mira exclaims. "I told you, we'd be best friends forever and ever! No matter what happens between us, no matter what conflicts happen, no matter what obstacle fate throws at us, no matter what! We will always make up again." She looks up at the boys, then the glimmering and starry party, and lastly back at Takagi. "And tonight, I believe our bond got even stronger, and invincible to break."

Takagi smiles, and they walk over to their prom dates, ready to enjoy the rest of the prom.