ten

The time of roaming Hogwarts' hallways again came sooner than Marina expected

The time of roaming Hogwarts' hallways again came sooner than Marina expected. With her new pet hidden away from the others in a place the others would never seek, she spent her days wondering how the second task would go.

"Had a nice holiday?" Blaise Zabini asked her as they walked to their next classroom. It was time for Potions with the brave Gryffindors.

"Yeah. Wasn't much that happened, though."

"I guess the Malfoys prefer staying in the manor?" Marina nodded at his question. "As does my family. Mother's new boyfriend didn't impress much, to be honest." She looked at him with her lips pursed, well aware that Blaise's mother was famous for her many relationships. "How is the tournament going, anyway? Ready for the second task?"

"I just need a little more time..."

"Need any help? I'm free today." He grinned.

"No, but thanks. Someone showed me what I needed to do with the Golden Egg. All I needed to do was open it underwater." She turned to him, and chuckled. "The Prefects' Bathroom is surprisingly nice."

"Oh, really?" Blaise smiled to her one last time before they walked into Snape's classroom.

What they didn't know was that a certain Gryffindor was walking right behind them, listening to every word they spoke.

Marina was hovering over the books she had borrowed from the library all through February. She was determined to land first place in the second task. The first task had gone just fine, but she needed to impress the judges even more. So, to prepare for the event, she went to study in the Common Room after every class. She had even forgotten to eat and sleep some days because of the many thoughts buzzing around in her head. Luckily, she had her cousin to remind her to take proper care of herself.

"Why are you reading about Merpeople?" a third-year asked her. She had her head resting on her palm. Marina didn't even need to look at her before Draco cut him off.

"Let the star study in peace," he spoke, and the younger girl skipped away. Marina only shook her head.

Merpeople is known for warlike tendencies. They have dragged many unfortunate souls underwater. Due to their large size, it is nearly impossible to put up a fight against them.

Marina was almost certain that the song that had played when she opened the egg had been sung by Merpeople. Narcissa had told her tales about the creatures when she was younger. On her seventh birthday, she had been given a book about them, and when she opened it, she could hear them sing.