forty-four

Marina, Luna, and Ollivander decided to stay in the Room of Requirement for the rest of the holiday break

The Death Eaters could no longer capture prisoners, for they had nowhere to put them (their cellar was barely ashes). Marina assumed that they would, therefore, as cruel as they were, torture and kill those they wanted to punish instead.

She had asked Luna and Ollivander what had happened to them while imprisoned, to which Ollivander responded with a great shiver, "Torture! They tortured me! The Cruciatus Curse! You have no idea..."

"I do, Sir. Unfortunately, I really do," she had answered.

Ollivander had been imprisoned for a long time. Luna, however, had only been in the cellar for a few days; the Death Eaters had taken her while on the train home to celebrate Christmas because her father had been noisy in The Quibbler. Regardless, the criminals had found plenty of time to beat her skin blue and yellow.

Nagini was, not long after Marina's visit to St Jerome's graveyard, moved to the Chamber of Secrets. Marina was scared that Tom could see through her eyes as she was a Horcrux. If he could, he would be able to see that she was alive. She was afraid that Snape would tell Tom that she was, but she had told Kreacher to seek revenge if he did so (maybe Nagini would help with the revenge, as well). As long as the snake was alright, so was Marina. She would do anything in her power to keep her alive.

Kreacher had begun to work in the kitchens again, blending in with the other house-elves. He helped them get food, but he could not take too much from the kitchen in case the others noticed. As a result, Marina's stomach was constantly aching and growling.

Evil had taken over the castle. Dementors were all around the boundary walls, and Snape ruled the school with the Carrows as his Deputies. All students were forced to practice Unforgivable Curses, and the Carrows were trying to convince them that Muggles were stupid and dirty animals. Luna told Marina that the Death Eaters did not mind hurting students; numerous had been sent home to celebrate Christmas with bruises and scars all over their bodies.

Together, Marina and Luna agreed that every student that had been harmed by Death Eaters deserved a place to heal. And the perfect place to lie low was in the Room of Requirement.

They started by lighting an eternal flame in the fireplace which would keep the room warm forever. Neither Luna nor Ollivander owned a wand, for their wands had been taken away from them when they had been imprisoned. But with the help of both their knowledge for magic and spells, Marina was able to transform fabrics she had found on a shelf into hammocks which the harmed students could rest on.

December soon ended, and a new year began. Ollivander decided to leave the castle, and Kreacher helped him get safely to Aberforth's inn so he could get enough food before he continued his journey. He thanked Marina for saving him and Luna for keeping him company in Malfoy Manor's cell. He then promised he would make them new wands when they met him again.