forty

Only death gives one the sight to see the end of a war

Only death gives one the sight to see the end of a war. And death comes when you least expect it. Marina should have known that by now.

It comes creeping upon you, and you are so unaware, you can't even speak of it before it happens. Suddenly it's there: the angel with black wings standing before you. It needs a new victim, and it is whispering your name. It is your turn to go. Even though you are not ready to leave. Even though you don't deserve it, the angel takes your soul. And you can't do anything about it. This is it, this is the end.

What happens next? No one knows. Those around you will be left confused and broken. They will wish that they could somehow bring you back; to see your smile once more. But they can't. Because death is forever. Your lifeless body lies six feet under the ground, waiting to become dirt. The soul is gone. Where is it now? Is it reuniting with its loved ones? Is it entering a new body? Is it screaming? Is it crying? Is it laughing? As the body rots, the others wonder. And they will keep wondering until it's their turn; until the angel with black wings returns. Because death is forever.

Harry was breaking and bottling up tears and anger when Marina entered Dumbledore's office. He was well familiar with death. It seemed like those closest to him dropped like flies. But a person could never learn how to greet death as a friend.

His muscles tensing and his jaw clenching, he looked at Marina a way that made her feel so unsure and small, "why did you do it? Why couldn't you just have listened to him?"

He would normally have looked at her like he had just realized what love is. But now, it was as if it hurt him to look at her. Marina drew a long breath, parting her lips to tell him about everything that had happened. But not a single word came out of her. She looked down at the floor, feeling warm tears rolling down her cheeks.

"He's not coming back!" cried Harry, his voice breaking. Marina watched in silence as he pounded his knitted fist against Dumbledore's desk.

"Harry, I did not know that he was following me to the manor. I thought-"

"YOU THOUGHT WHAT?"

Marina gulped. Her hands were shaking. "You know I didn't mean to hurt anyone. You out of all people should know that. If I had known that he was coming after me, I wouldn't have-"

"SHUT UP!" Harry suddenly bellowed. With a swift motion, he turned to look at her and took several steps forward. His face was now completely red. Marina looked into his eyes - they were much darker than usual - something about him was off. "YOU RUIN EVERYTHING!"

Marina gasped, trying to get away from him. But as if she was a marionette doll whose strings had just been cut off, she fell to the floor. The sound of something breaking under her filled the room.