twelve

Entering June, the mood in the castle became excited and tense

Entering June, the mood in the castle became excited and tense. Everyone was looking forward to the third task, which would take place a week before the end of term.

The term had gone fast for Marina. She had spent much time reading and learning for the third task. To her surprise, Potter had ignored her for months. After Junior's stunt earlier that year, Harry had grown more distant to her. Junior had told not to worry about it, as her father was growing stronger, and as long as the boy trusted her during the third task, everything would be okay. So, she spent her days in classes and reading in the library.

The morning of the Third Task was intense. Marina felt her nerves grow stronger for each minute that passed, and she hoped and prayed that her father was going to handle the dirty work, as long as she led the boy to him.

Draco was clutching a copy of the Daily Prophet as they sat down by the breakfast table.

"Look," he said, and found the third page, revealing an article written by Rita Skeeter. "I think Potter's going to go berserk on us."

HARRY POTTER - DISTURBED AND DANGEROUS

The boy who defeated He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is unstable and possibly dangerous, writes Rita Skeeter, Special Correspondent. Alarming evidence has recently come to light about Harry Potter's strange behavior, which casts doubts upon his suitability to compete in a demanding competition like the Triwizard Tournament, or even to attend Hogwarts School.

Potter, the Daily Prophet can exclusively reveal, regularly collapses at school, and is often heard to complain of pain in the scar on his forehead (relic of the curse with which You-Know-Who attempted to kill him). On Monday last, midway through a Divination lesson, your Daily Prophet reporter witnessed Potter storming from the class, claiming that his scar was hurting too badly to continue studying.

Albus Dumbledore should surely consider whether a boy such as this should be allowed to compete in the Triwizard Tournament. Some fear that Potter might resort to the Dark Arts in his desperation to win the tournament, the third task of which takes place this evening.

Professor McGonagall came walking alongside the Slytherin table toward Marina. Pansy shushed Draco's laughter.

"Miss Black, the champions are congregating after breakfast," the professor said calmly. "The champions' families are invited to watch the final task. If any members of your family are here, this will be your chance to greet them."

Marina faked a smile, well aware that no one was waiting for her. You couldn't expect much when your mother was in Azkaban, and your father was preparing to kill the Boy Who Lived, could you?