forty-three

"Are you sure that you are ready for this?" Darya asked her daughter

"I am." Marina's voice was shaking so badly that one could mistake her for a liar, but she was speaking the truth. She wiped her sweaty palms on the torn-up cloak her mother had let her borrow. She could have worn her Hogwarts robes, as she still had the clothes she had worn when she died, but she had become nauseous and nearly thrown up when trying to put them on.

She picked the flask of newly brewed Polyjuice Potion up from the ground, where it had laid beside a cauldron, bubbling, waiting to be used, and buried it deep into her pocket.

"Remember," Darya began, "in and out like a thief. You get your revenge and flee."

What Marina was about to do did not crave only her determination and cunning, but also bravery and courage. It was near Christmas now, and she had planned this day since Kreacher had returned to her in autumn. It was time to return from the grave, but she was to do it carefully and in disguise.

"Mum..."

Darya was quick to shush her when she realized that she was about to speak her last words to her in case she didn't make it. "No mercy," she simply said.

"No mercy," Marina repeated.

That was all the words they needed to exchange that day. Kreacher grabbed her hand, and they met a blinding light; she squeezed her eyes shut.

I will not fear. She repeated the four words in her head all the way to Malfoy Manor.

People often assume that the only way to fight darkness is with light. She disagreed with the statement. Darkness is to be fought with more darkness, for darkness does not always represent evil if you manipulate it for the right purpose. Forgive and forget. Or, do as she: seek vengeance and watch those who wronged you bleed.

With a final twirl, Marina and Kreacher landed steadily on their feet in the basement of the manor. It was dark as night though it was day: the cellar they were standing in had no lamps or windows. Wrapping her cloak closer around her, she twisted her head and found the only source of light coming from the peeking hole in the door of stone. She quickly discovered that a man was guarding the door from the outside; the back of his head could be seen through the hole.

Reaching for her mother's wand in her pocket, she prepared herself to curse him from behind, but when a thin voice behind her spoke her name, she turned away from him.

"Quiet." Marina attempted to speak as low as possible so that the man would not hear her. "Who is it?" she tried before she pointed her wand out in the dark, "Lumos!"