thirty-five

Marina had passed out six times in the last three weeks

The first time it happened was after her talk with Slughorn. That was the time she talked with Harry afterward. She had run to Dumbledore's office that night, and panicked. She stayed there until dawn, for she was afraid of passing out again. It did not help much: she passed out during class the day after, and Hagrid had carried her back to Dumbledore. The third time was during dinner in the Great Hall after hearing someone call her name. The fourth time she passed out was when Hermione had approached her to ask her how she was doing, the fifth when she was cursing Parkinson, and the sixth while trying to free Kreacher from his service.

She now woke up on the hard floor of Dumbledore's office after passing out for the seventh time, not remembering anything. By now, the Headmaster had gotten so used to talking her out of her panic attacks, that he did it in minutes. Afterward, he smiled brightly and opened the door, ready to escort her to her common room, but she shook her head in response.

Marina had grown tired of not knowing the truth about her past and she was beyond exhausted from not knowing why the Dark Lord kept her like a broken doll to play with. Anger had been spreading through her body, and it was today that she would dare to show it: she got to her feet and took a deep breath before demanding answers.

Instead of yelling back or throwing her out of his office, Dumbledore simply pursed his lips and pointed at the two chairs by his desk in response to her outbreak.

"Something is wrong," whispered Marina and shook her head as she sat down in a chair. "I can't remember what happened. I don't know why I'm here. I don't want to go back to sleep - I want answers."

"I do understand your frustration, Marina, but if you wish for answers, you must seek them," spoke Dumbledore and walked to the other chair. Marina's head was aching so badly that she was struggling with hearing his words.

"Why am I here today? Did I pass out again?"

"You passed out in Potions. Harry caught you, and brought you up here to me," explained Dumbledore and ran a hand through his long beard. "Tell me, Marina, do you see anything when you are unconscious?"

She shook her head. Why would she see things when she was unconscious?

"But you do remember what happens before you faint?"

"I usually do - well, not today - but the first time, for instance, I was talking to Slughorn after class, like you asked me to do."

"Pardon me - when was this?" Dumbledore asked and tilted his head downward, the light in the room making the wrinkles on his face stand out.