thirty-two

trigger warning : violence, abuse

Marina was drowning in Narcissa's perfume as the older woman combed her newly washed curls harshly, cold water dripping on her pale hands

When Marina looked into the mirror, she could see that Narcissa was watching her sister with worried eyes. Bellatrix was standing in the doorway, pouting her lips and playing with her wand as if she was bored.

The huge window behind them lit up the bedroom, the warm sunlight shining on Narcissa's face. Marina could see it much more clear now: Narcissa was aging rapidly.

She put the hairbrush in her lap and reached to stroke Marina's face. The young girl flinched in an instant; Narcissa's touch didn't feel gentle anymore, like it once had.

Marina cursed herself for leaving Grimmauld Place. How could she and Harry have been stupid enough to go to the Burrow and expect everything to turn out fine? How had she been so stupid to have chased Bellatrix out in the Weasleys' garden?

"You look beautiful," Narcissa whispered into her ear.

Marina looked into the mirror again. She didn't look like herself anymore. She looked much like a doll, with a pretty black dress on, red lips, and hair flowing down her back. She hated it.

"Are you going to do it, then, Cissy?" Bellatrix asked, rolling her eyes. Narcissa nodded slowly, making goosebumps rise on Marina's arms. The woman reached for her wand.

So, this was it then.

Narcissa pointed the wand at the girl's head, their eyes locking through the mirror. She showed little emotion, only her eyes glistening. Marina closed her eyes and imagined herself in Harry's arms one last time. Then, Narcissa muttered the simple word that would destroy it all.

"Obliviate."

A flashing green light twirled its way out of her wand and entered Marina's head.

"I'll go tell the Dark Lord," Bellatrix chuckled, turning in her heels before running down the hallway.

Once sure Bellatrix was long gone, Narcissa sighed loudly. She got to her feet and began pacing around the room. Marina opened her eyes again, more confused than ever.

"I don't understand," she said, looking at Narcissa with her jaw dropped. Something was wrong - or rather, right: she could remember everything. Every memory of her and Harry was still intact, and the truth about her parents was still planted in her head.