twenty-one

"I did it, father," Marina confirmed proudly

"I did it, father," Marina confirmed proudly. "I made him fall for me. The mission is completed."

The shadow of the Dark Lord entered her dreams, staring at her with his head held high. His black curls fell in front of his eyes, the eyes which reflected hers, and he let out a loud, hoarse laugh.

"You have done well, my dear..." he walked close to her, each step in sync with her heartbeat. "It is time to bring the boy to me."

"I will, father, but you must understand," she crossed her arms behind her back and batted her eyes, "that I must grow even closer to him. Give me the holiday, and I promise: I will have him at the gates of Malfoy Manor before the train leaves for Hogwarts."

Even though it was dark, Marina could see the Dark Lord look at her full of anger before turning his back to her.

"You are to be rewarded for the hard work, dear. You will see your present soon."

With a matter of seconds, her father had turned into a ray of black smoke which flew toward the sky, disappearing. Marina shot up in her bed, gasping for air.

Ginny rushed to her side a split second before Hermione did, both calling her name and reaching out to help her. She began to cough violently, which surprised even her. She had not called upon her father for many months, and she had forgotten what if felt like to wake up afterward.

She felt as if she was about to pass out and vomit at the same time; as if someone was pressing her chest and pulling her down against the pillow.

"I'm sorry." She uncomfortably shifted in her seat once retrieving her normal breathing pattern, accepting a glass of water from Ginny. "Just a stupid nightmare..."

Hermione nodded slowly. "Do you get them often?" she asked.

"Yes. It's mostly flashbacks from the Tournament," Marina started but didn't wish to continue. "I hope I didn't wake you."

"Don't worry, we've been helping Mum all morning," Ginny smiled, putting her hand over Marina's.

Although Marina had only stayed at the Burrow for a day, she had felt a strong sense of belonging. Mrs. Weasley had welcomed her with a gigantic hug once she had stepped through the door, bragging about how much Harry had talked about her. Mr. Weasley had shaken her hand, saying that she could stay as long as she wanted (because they certainly had enough space in the house for her).

She slept in Ginny's bedroom, along with her and Hermione. It was a small room, but still very cozy. Ginny had decorated it with Quidditch supplies and everything red and gold, showing off her Gryffindor pride. It was so unlike the manor, where everything was black and made of either silk or stone. There was never a silent minute in the Burrow, as there was always a Weasley running around screaming, in contrast to Malfoy Manor, where you could always hear your own heartbeat.