forty-six

"Lies

"Lies."

Marina couldn't control her body; she put her wand up to Lucius' chest and fired a spell that pushed him to the ground. He didn't say anything before he waved his wand around him and disappeared, probably getting out of the castle before her anger got the best of her and she hurt him more. It was not like she wanted to hurt him. She just lost control sometimes.

"Lies. Lies. Lies. Lies." She repeated the words as she paced the corridor.

Please let it be a lie. There was no way she had killed the woman who had taken her in when she was a child. The woman who had raised her when her mother wasn't there. The woman who had held her and dried her tears when she was lost. The woman who had given her all her knowledge and advice. The woman who would never break apart from a hug. Lucius had to be lying. He probably wanted to make her head spin so that she wouldn't be able to fight Tom if it came to that.

So many deaths. Only sufferings and bodies left after Tom's wrath. She looked down at her Dark Mark and nearly puked. Without her wanting to, with her mind screaming no, she dug her nails into her arm and scratched around the black skull until blood was pouring.

"Lies. Lies. Lies. Lies."

Someone took a grip around her wrist. They mumbled something about her needing to calm down. She looked up and met Ron's eyes.

"Are you okay?" Hermione, who stood behind Ron, asked worryingly.

Marina looked between them. "You heard about the fire at Malfoy Manor. Do you know who died in it? Were the names published in the papers? Did the Order say something?"

"A dozen people, but-"

"Narcissa." She gritted her teeth together. "Did Narcissa Malfoy die in the fire?"

Ron's eyebrows shot far up his forehead. "We thought you knew..."

Perhaps Ron and Hermione had gotten used to drying other's tears and calming them, as Harry had been unsteady for the last year, for they were able to help Marina get rid of the pain in her chest quickly.

She tried to gulp her misery and not think about her grief when Harry came walking down the stairs from Dumbledore's office. Everyone looked at him, but he looked at the floor. Trails of tears had cut through the ashes on his face.

"We won't let you give yourself up," said Ron, his tear-filled eyes scared but determined. "We'll keep fighting."

"No," answered Harry.