thirty-nine

Green flames spread around Marina

Green flames spread around Marina. She could see Harry reach out a hand as if he had the power to stop her.

The flames rose above her head. She reached for her wand in her pocket and, before she knew it, the flames had turned to ashes. She was now standing in Malfoy Manor's Drawing Room, two Death Eaters before her. She pointed her wand at them and reached to pull up the sleeve of her uniform to show them her Dark Mark.

"Close the Floo Network," she demanded. One of them ran to the fireplace at once. The other stood still. "I want to speak to Father."

Right now, Marina could have been sitting in a warm, cozy living room in London, talking to Louis' parents. She could have been visiting his grave, telling him how much she missed him. Afterward, she could've taken the Knight Bus to Grimmauld Place and seen the house she now owned; maybe have visited her actual father's bedroom. But no, she was standing in Malfoy Manor, watching Bellatrix and Narcissa stumble into the room. Harry and Dumbledore were probably going to hate her for traveling to the manor. But Marina needed answers - answers that Dumbledore could not give her.

"Hey, Mum. Hey, Auntie," Marina said sweetly, not sure if they were aware that she could remember everything that had happened before and during the summer. "I've been needing to talk to you. There are people coming after me, so we need to close the Floo Network while I'm here."

"Is it the boy?" smiled Bellatrix, "is the boy coming?"

"No, I closed the fire," said one of the Death Eaters. Bellatrix looked at him silently for a second, then quickly found her wand and called for extreme torture to attack every cell of his body. Marina bit down on her lip and tried to block out his screams.

"You come alone," began Narcissa, and crossed her arms. "Where's Draco? Is he alright?"

"He's fine, busy fixing the Vanishing Cabinet... That's actually why I came here. Is Father home?"

The doors of the manor slamming, Marina watched him enter the room, his snake-like face without emotion. Tom wore the stench of blood and death like perfume, a bitter taste of war on his tongue, and scars on his hands from those lives he had taken.

"Now, you call me father?" he hissed.

"What do you prefer? Lord? King? Do you want me to bow?" Marina hissed back.

Bellatrix lunged forward. Voldemort raised a hand and she was thrown into the wall. Marina lifted an eyebrow, doing an attempt at turning her emotions off as if she was a machine.

"I have come to tell you that Draco and I are not going to complete your mission. We are not helping any Death Eaters get into Hogwarts, and Draco is not killing Dumbledore at the end of the year."