sixteen

Professor Umbridge, the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, was already sitting on the teacher's desk when Marina entered the classroom

A little birdy had told her that the new professor was, in fact, a Slytherin, which made her even more excited for her lessons.

"Well, good afternoon!" Umbridge said sweetly once everybody had found their seats. Few responded. "Tut, tut! That won't do, now, will it? Let's reply, please, 'good afternoon, Professor Umbridge'. One more time, good afternoon, class!"

"Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge."

"That wasn't too difficult, was it?" She threw her hands to her side and smiled wide. "Wands away, please!"

The Professor opened her enormous handbag and reached for her surprisingly short wand. She tapped it against the blackboard, and words appeared few seconds later:

DEFENSE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS, A RETURN TO BASIC PRINCIPLES

"Now, has everybody got a copy of Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard?" There were a few moments of silence before the woman turned to face her class. "We will try that again. When I ask you a question, you shall reply 'yes, Professor Umbridge' or 'no, Professor Umbridge'. So, has everyone a copy of Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard?"

"Yes, Professor Umbridge," the young witches and wizards shouted back in unison. Marina noticed how Umbridge's voice became a little darker for each time they ignored her questions.

"Good! Page five. Chapter one. No talk."

Marina found her book, opening it carefully, and read: CHAPTER ONE. BASICS FOR BEGINNERS. However, she didn't get far in the reading before the Professor spoke again.

"Did you want to ask something about the chapter, dear?"

"No, Professor. Not about the chapter," the familiar voice of Granger spoke. Marina turned around quickly to look at her; she hadn't even touched her book. "I've got to ask you about your course aims, Professor."

"And your name is-?"

"Hermione Granger."

Umbridge looked down at her pink heels, snickered, then looked back at her student. "Well, Miss Granger, I think the course aims are perfectly clear if you read them carefully." She pointed at the board, which now had new words upon it:

COURSE AIMS

1. Understanding the principles underlying defense magic