Chapter 3

Tomorrow was when Brackenkit and her scuffle was on. She definitely wasn't scared, more so hesitant at what could happen. Placing her paws over her muzzle, Rainkit tried to slow her quickening breaths. As much as she wanted to prove to Brackenkit, and she would, a spark of doubt enflamed into her chest.

"Hello?" A shuffle beside the kit brought her out of her panic. She gazed at the moving mound with slight shock. It was Leopardkit, some of his pelt slightly scruffy and unkempt. He gave her a warm smile, and gently placed his head on her shoulder.

Slightly shocked, Rainkit allowed a purr through her throat. The feeling was new, and relieved her from almost all stress. She let out a small puff of breath, and looked across the den to the shadows of Brackenkit and her family.

"I'm fighting with Brackenkit tomorrow." Rainkit said clearly.

Leopardkit's calm face instantly changed to a one of alarm.

"But you can't do that! It's not very kind." He said naively, gazing at his sister who turned to him with a gobsmacked look.

"I have to. You wouldn't understand. I want to fight, and if I win, I'll get respect."

She nodded her head to her brother, who's eyes were bleary and mouth was crestfallen.

"Fine." He said, defeatedly. "But a strong warrior does not come from the fighting, it comes from the heart. Hareleap told me that."

"Ok, thy wise one." Rainkit chuckled slightly, and lay back down in her nest. "I'll be careful, at least."

~~

The sun had just began dipping above the sky when Rainkit was awoken harshly, and pulled out of her nest. She opened her eyes instantly, seeing Galekit tugging harshly at her fur.

"Oi!" She yelled and pulled back, feeling an immense amount of pain as Galekit pulled a clump of her fur out as she pulled away.

"You ready?" Galekit asked, a grin on his face. Rainkit shook out her pelt, trying not to wince at the clump of fur now missing on her hind leg.

"I'll be fine." She responded through gritted teeth.

The brown tabby moved to uncover Brackenkit, who was stood with Pondkit and Torrentkit gathered around her. Scoffing, Rainkit walked a few pawsteps towards Brackenkit.

"You'll regret calling me a mistake." Her voice was barely audible, and Brackenkit shook her head.

The bigger kit pounced unexpectedly, knocking Rainkit off her paws. There were supportive cheers off her brother. Rainkit twisted, and hit Brackenkit on the shoulder hard, causing her to loosen her grip.

"Don't think it's that easy." Brackenkit snarled, pressing her paws down on Rainkit's chest hard, jamming her into the ground.

"I didn't think it was." Rainkit grunted as Brackenkit planted a paw on her throat. "But I do think it's much easier."

Using all of her strength and might, Rainkit heaved Brackenkit off her shoulders, sending the tortoiseshell to go tumbling in the dirt, with an astounded look on her face. Yet, Brackenkit wasn't giving up them easily. Getting up on her paws, she was ready to spring into a crouch till a horrified yowl echoed in the den.

"No! What are you two doing? Why are you fighting?" It was the senior warrior Mistflower, a face of shock and horror as her eyes went from Brackenkit, to Rainkit, to Brackenkit, and repeat.

"It was all her fault!" Brackenkit wailed at Mistflower, falling onto her haunches and continuously blabbering. Rainkit glared at her, gazing down at scratches which the fellow kit had inflicted onto her pelt.

"I always knew scum like you was up to trouble." Mistflower hissed, and Rainkit winced, expecting the insult to be thrown at her aimlessly, and Brackenkit get the sympathy. Surprisingly, the white and grey spotted she cat approached Rainkit, curling her tail around her.

"I saw you preparing to pounce at Rainkit, Brackenkit. I believe this fight was forced."

Looking up, Rainkit decided not to say anything. Rubblestep followed in the den soon after, her head flitting round, wanting to know the drama.

"So what happened here?" The queen asked with a voice as cold as ice. So much so, as she leant down to gaze at her kits firmly, a interrogating wonder caught in them as she went past each of them. "Has there been a fight?" Her voice was crisp and her tail swished.

Mistflower stood up at this point, her tail still gripped round Rainkit protectively. "I believe Brackenkit provoked the fight, as her siblings were cheering on behind."

Rainkit felt a rush of relief as Rubblestep bundled the kits into her nest, an annoyed look on her face. Although Pondkit was there too, but he hadn't done anything.

"Pondkit didn't do anything wrong." She spoke in defence of the grey tabby, and he flitted his ears in her direction, obviously listening.

"Go and speak to Duststar. He'll have good advice for things like this." Mistflower bent down to Rainkit and whispered in her ear. The tortie nodded hesitantly flicking her tail.

Does Duststar think I'm a mistake too? Does he want me killed like Rowanface?

So it took a while to write this chapter as I have so much schoolwork to do :/ I started writing this story before I joined wattpad, and have been stuck on this chapter for about a week.

See ya in the next part <3
Ember