Chapter 8

Brackenkit's POV

Brackenkit only saw the flashing of white claws before her, Rainkit slashing repeatedly. And wouldn't stop.

She tried to yowl, but yet that remained masked against Rainkit's outburst of violence. Her mouth parted in a silent screech as another claw mark came harshly down on the top of her head

But why would she do this?

Brackenkit was knocked unconscious.

~~

"Where am I?" Brackenkit felt an immense warmth on her fur, like gentle sun pounding down onto her fur. The grass beneath her fur was luscious and thick. She could hear the gentle whipping of the wind through fronds.

As she parted one eye open gently, Brackenkit was almost blinded by the purest light she had seen. White speckles dotted the sky, stars. Although it was light and definitely not moon high.

"You are in StarClan." A brown tabby she-cat suddenly appeared in the midst of nowhere, her long tail flicking in rhythm with the wind.

"I'm dead?!" Brackenkit said with alarm, "Rainkit killed me?!"

"Of course not!" The brown cat suddenly snapped harshly. Brackenkit cowered away in shock, expecting a hit or slash of the cat. They must've realised their mistake, as their fur suddenly flattened, posture upright.

"I'm sorry." The she cat stood up, approaching Brackenkit, drawing a gentle paw down her spine. "Rainkit has seriously injured you. One of the nerves in your legs got nipped."

"Well how come I can still stand?" Brackenkit asked, confidently standing up with no trouble.

"This is StarClan. I'm just a dream right now." The brown tabby replied, sighing heavily. Brackenkit watched as the brown tabby cat walked beside her, gazing off into the sky for a second.

"So, I'll be injured when I wake up?" Brackenkit pried, the dread in her voice becoming apparent. What had Rainkit done to her?

"I know Rainkit is not the cleanest slate, Brackenkit. But you have your wrongs too." The starry cat came up to her, a stern gaze amongst her amber eyes.

"I did get a bit carried away.." Brackenkit trailed off, slightly horrified. I called her a mistake. She must've felt ashamed.

Sighing, Brackenkit looked at her paws. In truth, the she-cat didn't like this. She couldn't believe she had said such things, as she quietly reflected on the past few sunrises. A weird feeling filled her, like immense sadness and concern, along with pity.

"I-I don't know what to say." Brackenkit shuffled her paws, looking back up at the StarClan cat, who stood patiently. "I shouldn't have said those things, and now Rainkit probably won't forgive me, but I don't blame her!"

"Welcome to guilt, kit." The she-cat have a knowing smile, tilting her head to one side.

"Who are you?" Brackenkit asked. She could feel the surroundings begin to evaporate as she was transported from the starry land to her Clan. Only she heard the she-cats voice echoing in her ear.

"Spotwing. Rainkit's half-sibling."

~~

Brackenkit had to stop herself from screaming in pain as she gained consciousness, her eyes still pressed together in fear of what she would see. The kit gently lifted one ear, to try and hear better. Thankfully, it didn't scream out in pain like the rest of her body did.

"The poor kit." Brackenkit could heat the gentle hum of Pigeonfrost's voice further back the den.

"It's my fault this happened!" Brackenkit tried to speak, but her voice came out hoarse and a squeak. Confused, she tried to speak again.
It was then she felt a poultice stuck to her neck, it was a lazy attempt, a cobweb strewn on with other string scented herbs she didn't know of.

"I provoked this to happen." Brackenkit forcefully whispered, opening an eye to see Pigeonfrost walk over to her, his eyes heavy with sadness. Her other eye, however much she tried, was covered by another poultice.

"You got a slight scratch on that eye. But you'll still be able to see." Pigeonfrost announced, applying another cool mix of herbs to the pain on the top of her head. She was glad of that. The pain almost disappeared instantly.

The black and ginger flecked kits eyes trailed from her paws all the way down to her hind legs. One was bound tightly in sticks and rushes.

"What happened there?" Brackenkit asked curiously.

"You nipped a nerve in your hind leg. You may have a slight limp."

Brackenkit sighed, pressing her nose to the moss bed. She could just make out the worried figure of Rubblestep approaching her, but Pigeonfrost guiding her back with his tail. She slipped out of consciousness for a couple of heartbeats, suddenly waking up again.

She bobbed her head over her flank, gazing at the skeleton of cobwebs shelled over her pelt. Blood drops still wavered, but she ignored them.

In an instant, the scent of Duststar filled the den. Confused, Brackenkit twisted her head. Why would the leader come to see her?

Instead Rainkit was standing there, her tortoiseshell-and-grey-flecked pelt ruffled. Her eyes gave a look which Brackenkit had never seen before. Then she saw it.

The three new clawmarks dug deeply across Rainkit's face. The tortoiseshell kit was panting, but still remained stable. Brackenkit knew she hadn't inflicted that.

"I'm sorry for all the things I said." Brackenkit bowed her head, going quiet. "I don't expect your forgiven-"

She was suddenly interrupted by Rainkit angrily storming towards her.

"I don't want your pity." Rainkit bared her teeth, a loud snarl rumbling from her throat. She approached further, now staggering.
"If you ever call me a mistake again."

Brackenkit could feel Rainkit's breath in her ear.

"You really will be dead."