Chapter 28

The ginger tom purred in amusement as the tortoiseshell kit he was with, and he learned her name was Rainkit, jumped up and down in happiness.

"Are we back now?" She asked slightly eagerly, her paws beginning to slump as she walked forward. Her excitement was only because she'd return to a nest later on. Or she might not.

"This seems to be QuailClan territory." Xander remarked, crinkling his nose at the smell. How these cats lived with such a stench, he would never know.

"-Good luck." He awkwardly followed on his words, watching as Rainkit gave him a small smile. Yet he noticed her eyes were filled with guilt and pain. The tortoiseshell nodded her head, leaves rustling underneath her paws as she disappeared into the undergrowth.

~~

The kit could feel the tension in the air as she entered the camp, taking small pattering footsteps, as if not to disturb anyone. Rainkit was worried that QuailClan might not take her back in after what happened.

As she padded a little further forward, ducking under some low lying trees, a bramble caught her pelt, making her pull back instantly when she naively took a step forward.

"For StarClan's sake!" Rainkit snapped out loud, then dropped her ears in shock. She suddenly remembered that no cat knew of her presence here. Mustering the panic that was beginning to grow, she twisted to take a good look at her flank. The bramble had caught and twisted itself into the top of her fur.

How is that even possible? The tortoiseshell gave a snort.

Leaning forward, Rainkit grasped the bramble branch in her jaws, attempting to pull it off her pelt.

"Rainkit? You're back?!" The branch dropped from her mouth, and Rainkit, mortified, found Robintail to be standing a few mouse-lengths away from her. The brown tabby seemed happy, yellow eyes filled with relief.

Apart from that, Rainkit couldn't help but eye that the brown-tabby-and-white warrior was a little more tubbier than what she had last seen her.

"Come on."

Robintail said, waving her thin tail and directing Rainkit out the brambles, which she'd now gotten herself out of.

Keeping schtum, Rainkit allowed her eyes to trail to the floor, but she could hear the obvious gasps of cats as she and Robintail walked into the centre.

"I didn't mean to leave." She finally meowed, gazing up with slight confidence. "I got swept down the river again. Some rogue named Xander helped me."

She left out the obvious part of Torrentpaw's death, because she didn't want more cats to hate her guts.

"I missed you." Whitestrike purred as he approached her, giving her a small lick on the top of her head in comfort. He'd only known her a few days, but it felt like he'd known the tortoiseshell forever.

"Me too." Rainkit murmured, leaning into Whitestrike's leg.

Rainkit allowed warmth to fill up her heart, under Whitestrike jerked away slightly, standing upright.

"When she getting sent back to BirchClan?" Wrenpaw, the only apprentice of QuailClan, asked. The ginger and white she-cat didn't give her a look that suggested she wanted to get rid of her, only a look of determination to get her back to her family.

"I don't think going back right now would be suitable." A firm voice sounded from above the tortoiseshell. Rainkit furrowed her eyebrows, noticing the tom's tall stature.

"Are you Slightstar?" She trailed off to the short furred tom, who gave a dip of his head. His eyes pruned on her as she awkwardly smiled at him.

"I am. And you, Rainkit I think would be best to sleep in the medicine den."

The kit looked over to where the medicine den was, she could see the silver figure of Featherstem darting about inside. Rainkit liked the idea of that. As much as she liked Yarrowbreeze, the crowded feeling of the nursery wasn't nice.

"How long will I stay here?" She questioned out of the blue, Robintail and Whitestrike giving slightly shocked faces.

"Around a couple of moons I'd say." Whitestrike trailed off, his yellow eyes filled with slight worry in what her reaction would be. The tuxedo tom curled his tail around her tighter, as if to reassure her.

"But what about Hareleap? She thinks I'm dead!" Panicking, Rainkit got out of the QuailClan's warrior grasp, and stepped over to the medicine den uncertainly.

The welcoming smell of comforting herbs filled her nose as Rainkit took a deep sigh, Featherstem twitching an ear as she detected the unknown presence.

"It's only me." Rainkit called out slightly, looking up as Featherstem rushed to her. The silver tabby gave a small comforting purr, which Rainkit replied with a small smirk.

She was glad to be back in at least familiar territory, and definitely regretted escaping. Her mind so deep in thought, she barely registered being lead to a nest and laying in it.

"Night." Featherstem's hushed voice brought her out of her panic for a second, and Rainkit observed the medicine cat curling into a bed the opposite side of the den. Another cat lay in a bed quite close to Rainkit, a large brown tom, covered in some thin cobwebs and a poultice of leaves on his shoulder.

Wonder who he is. The tom seemed unfamiliar to her. Shrugging, Rainkit circles her nest a few times, before settling down on the springy bracken.

Only some thoughts still remained in her head.

Would she ever return to BirchClan? Who was Rockheart? And how would she stop Duststar?

A/N: Getting back into the routine of regular updates! But my holidays have started so, more chapters hopefully. What do you think of Rainkit's thoughts?

See ya in the next chapter!

- Ember <3