Chapter 24

"We should tell BirchClan of the kit being in our camp." Slightstar sighed in frustration as Furzefur hissed in annoyance. The white she-cat wouldn't get the dangers of it.

"BirchClan our not our allies right now. I guarantee to you, Furzefur, they will accuse us of kitnapping and attack us." The lanky leader lashed his tail angrily, watching as Furzefur rolled her eyes a little. The black tom couldn't help but feel slightly bad for the kit. As much as he wanted to return her home, he needed to think of the values of his Clan, before the kit.

Which was unfortunate, but it was just the way it was.

~~

Rainkit's whiskers twitched as she watched QuailClan's life go by. Cats seemed to be more sociable and closer here. Each one was giving eachother a friendly greeting as they passed one another, and doing a thing called 'sharing tongues'.

She'd never heard of what it was, so Whitestrike had to sit her down and explain what it was. Turned out, QuailClan was the only Clan who did it out the three Clans, so it wasn't a surprise she hadn't heard of it.

"Watch where you're going kit!" Featherstem said hurriedly as she rushed past Rainkit, paws full of herbs and stalks. The fluffy cat seemed quite panicked, which made Rainkit hopeful.

Was BirchClan attacking? This meant she could go home!

"What's going on?" The she-cat tilted her head to the side, watching Featherstem running into a den she'd never seen before.

"You don't need to know." Featherstem's turned sideways, blocking the path so Rainkit didn't see inside the den.

A twinge of pain ran through her, and Rainkit felt slightly hurt. She didn't get why she felt so hurt at Featherstem's words, she'd barely known the medicine cat three days.

Turning away pitifully, Rainkit felt the urge to pull off the leaf wrap again. She didn't want it on. Featherstem had put it on her, and now the medicine cat had ignored her.

"Well I'm taking this off!" Rainkit snapped, storming off, the grey tabby medicine cat barely being able to turn round, her face confused.

Never had Rainkit reacted like this? Why was it? From a distance, her heart was torn. But the cat didn't even mean much to her! Sighing slowly, Rainkit squinted further.

"Pondpaw!" The tortie gasped, mouth gaping wide. So she was so hurt because Featherstem reminded her of Pondpaw. Grey tabby pelt, medicine cat, it was pretty similar.

Her friend, well she wasn't so sure now. He'd been quiet the last few days, and it just had to do something with Duststar, she was absolutely certain. "What will he being doing to him?" Horrified, images filled her thoughts of Duststar injuring Pondpaw, even worse, killing him.

Then everything felt painful. Her ears from the sound of chatter, her heart from the aching gape of Pondpaw. Her paws on the ground, which now felt rough and scratchy.

So she ran for it. Tail streaming behind her, Rainkit's paws tore up the earth beneath her.

"Need to get back to my Clan. Back to Hareleap, Back home, Back to Pondpaw." Words uttered through gritted teeth.

Hopping over mounds of dirt as she went, and averting a few trees, a familiar scent came to the young kit's nose. BirchClan. Home.

"Nice to be back." Rainkit purred to herself, eyes opening with relief, then she realised with horror. The swirling water beneath her paws.

A/N: Sorry for such a short chapter, but it's getting to the good bits soon!

See ya! <3

- Ember