Chapter 41

A/N: okay so this is a pretty hefty chapter, full of a lot of things going on. It's finally the battle, and what do you think of Rubblestep's kits warrior names, and Swooppaw's? Just a warning that there is a mention of blood in chapter, as well as murder.

three moons later.

There was tension in BirchClan, everywhere. All the cats were sat in the clearing of BirchClan camp, listening intently as Duststar harshly dished out orders. Rainpaw couldn't care less.

She'd heard that she was going on the second patrol, with Mistflower, Galewing, Darkwing and Rowanface. The apprentice wasn't too fussed about it, only slightly unevered that she'd have to be on a patrol with Rowanface.

"Are you ready to go?" Mistflower shook her out of her thoughts carefully, noting Rainpaw's hunched stance. Green eyes flickering to Mistflower's amber eyes, she gave a worried smile.

"I don't wanna hurt Whitestrike or Robintail. Neither their kits." She whispered, fearing for her friends. Even though she wasn't part of QuailClan ever again, and definitely meant lashing out at Whitestrike, she didn't want them dead!

Bumblekit, Ebonykit and Honeykit would be four moons old now, almost apprentices in two moons. Rainpaw herself was nine moons old.

"First patrol, get ready to leave!" Duststar called out suddenly, a line of cats already stood in determined stances. In the line was Applestream, Meadowtail, Brackenflower and Darkwing. Since the three moons had passed, Rubblestep's kits had become warriors, Pondpaw begrudgingly becoming Pondmist, and his littermates now Brackenflower and Galewing.

She watched intently as the four cats disappeared out the bushes, their eyes determined with battle. The apprentice was surprised she was going so early in the fight, and not in backup like Leopardpaw was. She wasn't half bad a fighting now, and could strike a decent blow. The leap and hold was a struggle. She never was able to grip onto a cats back, she always just fell off the other side of the cat.

"It's us now." Her shoulder was shook harshly by Swoopfeather, the tom beckoning her with his tail. Mistflower was now gone, shakily lining up next to Meadowtail.

"You must have some skills kit, if Duststar is putting you in the second patrol." Swoopfeather muttered to her, looking down at her with interest.

"Thanks." She gave a small nod back at the compliment. "I guess Duststar just thought I was good? It's better than Pondmist being here, I suppose."

"Agreed." The white and black flecked tom twisted round, seeing the purplish grey tabby hovering outside the medicine den.

At least he isn't fighting in the battle. The she-cat was relieved to say the least that the blind tom wasn't participating.

"Warriors, and apprentice!" There was a snap of Duststar's voice as he came forward to the four cats, eyeing all of them. "Fight with all your might. Do not show any remorse. Prove yourself to the Clan this battle, prove what it is to be a warrior."

"Being a warrior isn't always about fighting." There was a quick input from Mistflower, wh got looks of many cats at once. She received a stony glare, and Rainpaw shivered. That would have some effects later on.

"Second patrol attack!!" Duststar's yowl piercer through the camp, echoing on for miles as birds fluttered away, alarmed.

As quick as a dash, Rainpaw ran, the wind whipping through her fur as she came just behind Swoopfeather. Trees were a blur beside her as the group raced through the forest, the smell of QuailClan soon flooding their noses. And there, behind a thicket of bushes, Rainpaw could heat the struggles of cats, yowls of pain as well as hisses and growls.

Meadowtail went first, bursting through the thicket, practically taking off all the leaves with him as he launched forward to attack the deputy, Furzefur.

Weaving in between the battle, Rainpaw tried to allocate a target, batting away a black and white dashed tom, who she fainly remembered as Violetpaw. He gave a small whine as his paw hit the floor, turning back and shoving the tortie to the ground.

Winded, Rainpaw struck his chest attemptedly, him unsheathing his claws and drawing a slash over her previous scars inflicted by Duststar. The apprentice could feel the cold blood dripping from her face, the familiar sensation of the horrific pain.

He finally let her go, allowing her to run into the direction of where the medicine den was, covered by a high ridge with the den snuggled beneath.

"Need to get herbs for the pain." She groaned to herself, quickly scrambling over the ridge before the shadow of a cat appeared.

This cat seemed unsuspecting, their ears relaxed, fur unwounded as they messed around with some unfamiliar herbs on the floor.

And with that, Rainpaw knew.

She'd found her target, the one thing that would prove herself to BirchClan. So maybe an unsuspecting target was cheating, but she wasn't the most skilled fighter just yet.

Anger and determination filled her as she unsheathed her claws, crawling behind this cat, who was quietly humming to themselves, and the flower in their paws identified as lavender.

Ironic. Lavender, to hide the scent of death.

And with that, she let out a shrill snarl, shocking the unsuspecting cat, who turned, their blue eyes terrified as they back away to the corner.

"Just get the job done, Rainpaw! There's no point in waiting around. You must always kill in battle!"

The voice of Duststar ring in her head, and Rainpaw's green eyes narrowed. But the terrified cats eyes and hers locked for a second.

How could I do this? It's not right! A tiny voice in her head screeched, but Duststar's voice was now echoing in her head.

Clenching her eyes together, she screeched, launching forward to the cat, and locking eyes with them again. That was strange. Why weren't they fighting?

The long furred cat seemed to just stare up at Rainpaw with a reassuring look, nodding gently.

"We all do things we regret. I understand." The she-cat spoke, her voice seemingly gentle and kind.

"Stop it!" Rainpaw screeched back at the cat beneath her paws, unable to bear it anymore. Peering back at the cat for one last second, she unsheathed her claws, and drew a harsh slash right across their throat.

The scent of blood was unbearable, as Rainpaw stepped back, out of her trance of determination and anger. Now it was just shock and immense guilt. Duststar's voice had finally silenced in her head, and she was left gazing at her paws doused in red, silent in her own thoughts.

And then Rainpaw recognised the body almost instantly. The gentle voice, the lavender, the herbs, the inability to fight.

The cat who had cared for her the whole time she resided in QuailClan.

I've murdered her

- I've killed Featherstem!