Chapter 23

Rainkit felt herself being harshly moved around, chatter all around her as she stirred awake. BirchClan wasn't usually this loud...

Then she realised. There were four figures around her instead of just one, and her mother was now Yarrowbreeze. Only temporarily, she hoped.

"Rainkit! You're finally awake!" An unfamiliar voice echoed in her left ear, and the tortie rolled onto her back, seeing a short-furred ginger she-cat stood on the tips of her paws enthusiastically.

"Who are you?" She questioned the kit. Her yellow eyes filled with happiness once again, and she turned around for a heartbeat, before placing a lavender flower on the floor in front of her.

"Molekit. Featherstem told me to give you this." Molekit dipped her head, watching with fascination as Rainkit hesitantly took it in her paws.

"I wonder why." Rainkit questioned after she had attached it to the leaf wrap on her head. Molekit was extremely quick to answer.

"It's to hide your scent, so cats don't get threatening and attack you."

Ultimately confused, Rainkit shook her head vigorously. Sure, she was part of their enemy Clan, but surely fully grown cats wouldn't attack a kit?

Duststar would.

Her conscience kicked back and she hissed, surprising Molekit slightly. The kit looked quite hurt, blinked widely a couple of times before returning back to Rabbitkit and whispering something in his ear.

"I'm leaving here." The kit whispered under her breath, sick of the chaos of the Clan already. Sure, the cats were nice here, but she had to remind herself that this was an enemy Clan.

Suddenly, a joyous cheer filled outside the nursery, in the clearing. On full alert, Rainkit realised it was Whitestrike, his black and white tail wrapped around Robintail.

"Congrats, you two." A dainty white speckled she-cat that Rainkit hadn't seen before was purring. Curiosity got the better of her, and she rushed out the den.

"Congrats for what?" Rainkit approached the two from behind, making Robintail whip around and then give a sigh of relief. Whitestrike got a slight fright, the fur on his spine prickling upwards.

"Oh Rainkit, it's just you." He purred and chuckled awkwardly, while the white speckled she cat gave a confused glance, which turned to a threatening one.

"Who's the kit?" The she-cat shouted loudly, causing some cats to turn around and peer at her oddly. Then their eyes all turned to Rainkit.

"Rainkit. I rescued her out the river yesterday." Whitestrike approached the kit, Robintail following shortly after. "And Robintail is expecting my kits, if you were wondering why Furzefur was congratulating us."

Rainkit nodded in understanding, however, still shrinking under Furzefur's gaze. She could understand why the onlookers were confused, but Furzefur was giving her some sort of a glare.

"Y-you're not like Rowanface, are you?" The tortoiseshell asked hesitantly, glancing up to meet Furzefur's green eyes. The she-cat took a step back, shaking her head continuously.

"No. But why are you, a BirchClan kit, in our camp?" Her eyes filled with yet another menacing stare. Sighing, Rainkit gently unwrapped the leaf wrap from the side of her head, not like when she'd torn it off.

"Duststar attacked me. H-he made me attack my half-siblings graves, which I didn't realise were theirs. Then my mother found me there, with the destroyed flowers and juniper berries. I accidentally got knocked in the river." She spoke quickly and bluntly, not wanting to tell them all the details of her story.

Rewinding the whole situation in her head, Rainkit was reminded of Rockheart. Who was he? And why had she had to find out about him from QuailClan?

I need answers. She concluded.

A/N: So Rainkit has pretty much been introduced to QuailClan there. I don't really have much to say to be honest - I think this is just more of a filler chapter.

See ya! <3

- Ember