Chapter 17

"I thought he was to become a medicine cat." Softclaw meowed to Duststar as the two stood in the medicine cat, discussing Pondpaw's apprenticeship.

Rainkit was anonymously listening on their conversation, pretending to be asleep by practically suffocating herself into the now tattered moss nest. She'd thrust her face into the nest so many times in frustration that it had become ragged and worn.

"I understand the circumstances have changed, and how Pondpaw was eager to become a medicine cat. But I figured to the extent of the situation, him being blind, that he should have extra training in case of any attacks in the future."

What a load of dirt. Rainkit hissed lightly. She knew Duststar had some plot in his head, using the newly-made apprentice against her. And singling the tom out for his blindness wasn't helping, either.

"What attacks?" Softclaw asked, his eyes filled with alarm. "I understand you and QuailClan are in a quarrel, but you wouldn't start a battle with them Duststar."

"The business between our Clan and QuailClan is non that of in AmberClan!" Duststar yelled, approaching the yellow tom absentmindedly. He reacted quickly, taking two steps back and banging into the rock wall.

"I-I didn't mean it like that." Softclaw whimpered lightly, eyes darting around, as if trying to look for an escape.

"You will tell no one of this situation, or this happening." The leader said coldly, beginning to press cold claws into Softclaw's neck. They began to pierce his neck, a slight bit of blood dribbling down.

"Stop." Rainkit growled, green eyes wild with anger.

"As you wish." Duststar meowed, and dropped his claws out of Softclaw's neck. As he did, the yellow tom dropped onto his paws, spluttering in pain.

"Rainkit, I promise Pondpaw is safe under my mentorship." Duststar approached the kit, who shivered, but allowed him to speak.

"You wouldn't kill him? Hurt him?" Rainkit felt a speck of fear down her spine as she gazed into the green pools of Duststar's eyes. His eyes seemed, clear, genuine.

"Of course I wouldn't." Duststar shook his head. There was no growl behind his voice, no force or anger. Rainkit perked up, surprised.

Maybe him mentoring Pondpaw was a way of getting Rainkit to trust him again? Hopefully, the leader was genuinely sorry about his previous actions.

Just as she was thinking about that, Duststar held out a white paw, gesturing to her face. "Also, I'm sorry about this." He sighed, looking away pitifully.

"I only want you to be a good warrior, Rainkit. To prove yourself to this Clan. And I will allow you to fight in that battle. And you will fight stronger than any apprentice ever has."

Rainkit couldn't believe what she was listening too. She would prove herself to the Clan! Even if the insults of 'mistake' had come from Applestream, Rowanface, Brackenkit, Galepaw, Torrentpaw and Brackenpaw she wanted to diminish all the insults.

"Now where were we?" Duststar thought, green eyes wandering off. "Ah yes, battle training with Pondpaw!"

"Can't wait." Rainkit said, almost excitedly, watching as Duststar trailed off out of the den, his brown tail flicking after him.

She turned back into the den, seeing Softclaw's terrified face.

"Does he think I'm stupid?!" She spat, to anybody in particular. "I trust no one, work with no one; but fight everyone."