Chapter 31

{Two moon timeskip}

The tortoiseshell winced as she listened to the yelps of pain across from her. Robintail was kitting, hunched up in a moss bed, with Featherstem hurriedly chattering in sentences.

Everyone was tense. Even Yarrowbreeze, however much she tried to speak in comforting tones. Only two kits lay by her now, Rainkit thought with pity.

During the two moons, Mildkit has passed away, not able to fight away an infection because he was simply just too weak. Violetkit had become an apprentice, already a moon into an his apprenticeship.

"I'm going outside." Rainkit muttered to Molekit beside her, and trotted out the den. The five moon old kit stretched, being considerably bigger and stronger than what she had been.

"Do you know what's going on in there?" Whitestrike's timid voice alarmed her, and she turned, flattening her ears.

"I think Robintail's has had the first kit." She stated, remembering hearing the small squeal of a kit as the exited the den.

"My second kit! I'm a father to two already!" Whitestrike gasped in happiness, and Rainkit looked at him in confusion.

But only one kit had been born?

As Whitestrike eventually steadied himself, the tuxedo must've noticed Rainkit's confused glance. Laughing gently, her placed a paw on her shoulder.

"You're my first kit Rainkit."

Utter confusion filled her veins. She knew she was close with Whitestrike, but she didn't think he would consider her his daughter. Looking up at him with unblinking eyes, she smiled.

Even if it was just for a heartbeat, she smiled.

"Thanks, dad." Rainkit squeaked at the end part, slightly embarrassed, but she felt happy. She'd never really gotten to know Pigeonfrost that much, for the fact he'd died when she was so young.

The two cats sat in the middle of the QuailClan camp, content with life for a few mere moments. It was interrupted by Robintail's yelps of pain, then various happy meows.

"I think the kits are here." She said, trotting forward to the nursery, Featherstem passing, almost accidentally knocking into her.

"Oh, s-sorry Rainkit." Featherstem flushed clearly, taking a step away from the kit and dipping her head with a smile. "Your siblings are here." She continued.

Flooding over with embarrassment, Rainkit was relieved when Whitestrike let out an impatient snort behind her, gesturing for her to go into the nursery.

Taking a tentative step forward, Rainkit could see Robintail, smaller figures nuzzled by her body. Feelings of awe and slight jealousy pricked at her fur.

"This is Ebonykit." Robintail meowed suddenly, putting her head up to Whitestrike, gesturing to the middle kit, the only tom of the three. He nodded silently, eyes scanning to the first kit, a white furred kit.

"Bumblekit. She's shuffling around like a bumblebee." The tuxedo tom said with slight amusement, noticing the kit fussing around.

"And the third-." Whitestrike gave a pause.

Rainkit waited, awaiting the third kits name, who was a small brown tabby. But neither Robintail or Whitestrike gave a name. They both turned to her, their stares inviting.

"Honeykit?" Rainkit said hesitantly, green eyes fixed on the small kit who squeaked loudly.

"Sounds brilliant." Whitestrike smiled back, turning around, and lying down next to his mate. Beckoning for Rainkit to come forward, she took a few pawsteps, eventually lying down next to the three kits.

"Five moons old already." Robintail said unexpectedly, her attention focused onto something outside the den. "You'll be an apprentice soon."

A wave of guilt filled Rainkit as Robintail said that. She could stay in QuailClan, but she had things to do. In just a moon, or maybe even quarter-moons, she would have to go back to being their enemy.

"QuailClan!"

There was an unfamiliar yell, causing cats to call out in alarm and surprise. Unnerved, Rainkit peered out beside Robintail, notices flurries of figures face around.

"Oh no." Whitestrike barely whispered, then looked at Robintail. "Give the kits to Yarrowbreeze."

Both cats turned to Yarrowbreeze, who was sat at the back of the nursery, eyes petrified as she hid her two kits beneath her tail.

"I can't loose another one." Yarrowbreeze spluttered, and Rainkit looked at her in utter confusion.

Sure, Yarrowbreeze could be concerned for her kits from time to time, but why was she scared for their lives? In fact, why was everyone acting so strangely? It was then she realised that all the cats seemed to have a strange aura of fear around them (except the kits).

"Rainkit, get to the back of the den." Whitestrike ordered. Yet she stood her ground.

She was the utmost confused, but wanted to know what was going on. Sitting on her haunches, Rainkit stayed put, and Whitestrike sighed, rushing outside, Robintail not far off behind.

What is going on out there?

She thought to herself, then rushed outside into the camp. Ears alert, she could hear yowls and hisses. Blood was splattered on the floor, tufts of fur everywhere.

"A battle." Rainkit breathed out, a burst of recognition exploding in her when familiar scents came to her nose.

BirchClan.

She saw to her left, a familiar figure. Duststar was fighting another cat, who she knew quite well, Whitestrike. And he wasn't winning. The tom cat was being pinned down, the leader's claws sinking deeper into his fur by the heartbeat.

Taking in a shaky breath, she dashed forward, preparing to shout for the battle to stop. She didn't know why her Clan was here, but maybe if she make her presence known, they would stop fighting.

Breathing a couple of times, Rainkit looked at the sky, and yowled the loudest she ever had.

"Get your paws OFF him!"

The clearing suddenly went into an eerie silence. Cats stopped fighting, and turned to look where the yowl had come from. Eyes flared at her from every direction, and Rainkit put her head her to speak again-

Then stopped.

The figure in front of her made her catch her breath.

Their amber eyes were full of shock, guilt and relief. Rainkit at that point, focused on the cat's eyes, felt like it was only them two in the clearing.

R-Rainkit? Y-you're alive??!

A/N: chapter 31 done! Yep, there's a timeskip there, and it seems finally, Rainkit might be going back home.
For anyone who wants to know, here are the kits descriptions:
Bumblekit {fluffy white she cat with ice-blue eyes}
Ebonykit {black tom with white ears and tail tip, yellow eyes}
Honeykit {small brown tabby she-kit with white paws and muzzle, yellow eyes}